How to pay or challenge a penalty charge notice (parking ticket)

Civil enforcement officers are empowered to issue penalty charge notices (PCN) to vehicles or motorists when contraventions are seen either on the street or in any car parks that are subject to parking regulations. A penalty charge of £50 or £70, depending on the severity of the contravention, can be reduced by 50% if paid within fourteen days of the penalty notice being issued.

The registered keeper/owner of a vehicle or its hirer is the person responsible for paying the penalty, regardless of whether that person was the driver or not.

Operational enforcement of parking regulations is undertaken on behalf of Salford City Council by our contractor Vinci Park Services UK Ltd.

Paying or challenging a notice

You may pay or challenge a penalty charge notice in the following ways:

Alternatively, payment can be made by post by sending a cheque or postal order, made payable to Salford City Council, to PO Box 136, Parking Services, Manchester, M30 0YZ.


If you feel the penalty charge notice has been wrongly issued you can now appeal, or what's called 'make a challenge'. Rather than make an online challenge, if you prefer you can do so by sending a letter to Salford City Council at the address shown on the notice. If you need to submit any evidence in support of your challenge, such as copy of a valid pay and display ticket, parking permit or blue badge, please do so as an attachment or include it with your letter. Please quote the Penalty Charge Notice number in all correspondence.

Should this challenge be rejected and the penalty remain unpaid, a 'notice to owner' form will be issued that will provide a further opportunity to make representations to the council. Should these representations be rejected, an appeal may then be made to an independent body, the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. Further information can found on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website.

Referral of unpaid penalties

Unpaid penalties are referred to the Traffic Enforcement Centre at Northampton County Court, who may authorise warrants to be issued for recovery of these debts by bailiffs.

This page was last updated on 31 March 2014

Rate and comment on this page

How do you rate the quality of this page?

This form allows you to give us your opinion on the quality of the content on this page. If you’d like to comment or complain about a council service, please use our complaints, comments and compliments form.

Your comments or email address will not be published on this website and are subject to our privacy statement.

Copyright Salford City Council
Salford City Council, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton, Salford, M27 5AW   Telephone 0161 794 4711
GOV.UK - the place to find government services and information
© Copyright Salford City Council 2014.