Discretionary housing payments

Discretionary housing payments (DHP) can help if you're struggling to pay your rent.

You must live in Salford to apply for them.

To get a discretionary payment towards your rent you must either:

  • be entitled to to some housing benefit from us; or
  • be getting Universal Credit that includes something towards your housing costs.

There is no right for anyone to a discretionary payment. We will look at your case to decide if you need extra financial support.

Here are some common queries:

How much can I get?

A discretionary housing payment can make up any short fall between the rent set by your landlord and the amount of housing benefit or Universal Credit you have been awarded to pay your rent.

How long can I get a payment for?

Payments are normally only awarded for a short period while you look at ways to change your circumstances (such as getting a job or moving to a home with less bedrooms).

We only have a small amount of funding.

There are circumstances where a longer term discretionary housing payment can be made. We consider each case individually before deciding if a payment should be awarded and how long we will pay it.

If you're awarded a payment, there is no guarantee that a further award will be made even if your circumstances stay the same.

How can I claim?

You need to complete an application form, which can be downloaded at the bottom of this page. Complete it and return to us using our online form.

Apply now

How will I find out if I am awarded a discretionary housing payment?

We'll write to you to let you know our decision, even if we don't award a payment. You can't appeal against a decision but if you don't agree with it, ask us to look at your case again.

Reporting changes in circumstances

If you're getting housing benefit, council tax benefit or council tax reduction, let us know straight away if your circumstances changes. 

Let us know if your circumstances change

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

This page was last updated on 8 September 2017