Council tax discount for carers

If you are a carer of someone who is not your partner, spouse or a child under 18 and you live in the same home as them, you may be able to get either a 25% or 50% discount on your council tax.

To get the discount you must care for the person for an average of 35 hours per week or more. 

The person you care for must also be getting one of the following benefits: 

  • An Attendance Allowance
  • High or middle rate Disability Living Allowance (care)
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment daily living component (either rate) 

Apply for a carers discount


Do I have to be receiving Carer's Allowance to claim the discount?
No, it doesn't make any difference to your claim.

What happens if my application is turned down?
If your application is turned down, then you can appeal against the decision.

This page was last updated on 26 February 2018

Rate this page