Single Person's Discount (SPD) review

Salford City Council is currently undergoing a review of council tax accounts where the household is receiving a 25% discount on their council tax. Single Person Discount (SPD) can only be given for properties where there is only one adult resident.

For council tax purposes an adult is classed as an individual who is 18 years or older.

We have a duty to make sure that households pay the right amount of council tax. We expect that most of the households that we review will continue to be entitled to the discount. We also expect some households will no longer qualify as another adult has joined the household. The review is to give us the opportunity to update our records and for households to be given the opportunity to report the change in circumstances and for the discount to be cancelled if appropriate.

A letter has been sent to some residents receiving SPD asking for them to confirm their current household circumstances and whether the discount continues to apply or should be cancelled.

Complete the SPD review form

If you have any questions regarding the form or require further information, please see the frequently asked questions below. We would like to thank our residents for their on-going cooperation throughout this exercise.

Frequently asked questions

Why have I been sent this letter?

We will review discounts regularly and you may be asked from time to time to confirm whether you are still entitled to the discount.

How do I renew or cancel my single person discount?

Please fill out the online SPD review form or if you don’t have access to a device that can access the internet then please go to one of our Gateway Centres.

What happens if I don’t complete the form?

We will assume that your situation has changed and will remove your discount. A new council tax bill will be issued detailing your new charge and renewed instalments.

What happens if the form is returned after the 14 day deadline given?

A reminder will be issued to customers who fail to respond to the initial letter. If following the reminder a response is still not received we will assume that your situation has changed and will remove your discount. A new council tax bill will be issued detailing your new charge.

What should I do if someone is using my address for correspondence only?

If someone is using your address as a correspondence address only and their main residence is at another property please renew your single person discount by completing the SPD review form.

I have already informed the council of a change in circumstances. Do I need to complete the form?


I receive mail for previous occupants, what should I do about this?

You need to write on the envelope that the person no longer lives at the address and return it to the sender so that they can remove your address from their records.

A friend stays with me three or four nights a week, does this mean that I am no longer eligible?

If your friend has their main residence at another property then you will still qualify for Single Person Discount however if your address is their main or only residence then you no longer qualify.

You have a full time student living with you?

You should cancel your SPD claim and apply for the student to be disregarded for council tax purposes. Student discount is 25%. A student certificate will need to be provided, complete the student discount or exemption initial assessment form.

Is this a one off?

This is not a one off exercise, the council tax department will be carrying this out on an annual basis.

What should I do if my circumstances are not covered in the examples above?

If you are still unsure how to complete the form, or your circumstances are not covered please use our contact us form.


Discounts and exemptions

Rate this page