Salford Home Search
Salford Home Search is a way of letting properties in Salford. This scheme gives you more choice when looking for your new home in Salford. It allows you to search for and choose properties that are suited to your needs.
How does it work?
- You register your details on the Salford Home Search website
- You will be placed in a 'band' based on your housing need and circumstances
- You can place an 'expression of interest' on any property that is advertised in your band
- If more than one person places an 'expression of interest' on a property, everyone who applies will be sorted by their bedroom needs, band, number of needs and the length of time they have been registered
What is an 'expression of interest'?
An expression of interest is a way of registering your interest in one of the properties advertised by Salford Home Search.
Who advertises properties through Salford Home Search?
The following organisations can advertise their available properties through Salford Home Search:
- Housing associations
- Sheltered housing organisations
- Accredited private landlords
Who is eligible?
To register with Salford Home Search you will need to be:
- Over the age of 16
- Living in the United Kingdom and not be under immigration control
- In order to ensure that the needs of the local community are met, a person who does not have a local connection to Salford is not a qualifying person under the scheme
- Residence – must have lived in Salford in settled accommodation for a period of two years.
- Employment – must have a contract of permanent employment and work within the city, continuously for a period of six months. It is not sufficient that the employers’ head office is located within the city.
- Family association – must have a parent, adult sibling or adult child living in Salford in settled accommodation for a minimum of five years.
- Armed Forces – current or former armed forces who have left within five years of their application, have suffered serious injury or disability which is attributable in whole or part to that service, a spouse or civil partner who is or was living in Ministry of Defence accommodation and whose former spouse or civil partner was a serviceman whose death was attributable in whole or part to their service.
- Special circumstances – These cases will be considered on a case by case basis and the decision will be made by the service manager.
- Former asylum seekers – will have a local connection to Salford if their application for asylum was determined whilst living in accommodation in Salford provided under Section 96 of the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996 and they have been granted the right to remain.
Want to live outside of Salford?
If you want to look at moving to an area outside of Salford then the Pinpoint website is a great place to look.
Pinpoint is a partnership between local authorities and a number of housing associations across Greater Manchester.
It will give more choice across the region when you are selecting a home and offers you a greater opportunity in deciding where you want to live.
You will only need to register with a housing association and this will mean you can also bid for properties on Pinpoint. Pinpoint does not stop you from bidding on properties on Salford Home Search, it just gives you more choice.
You can get more information by accessing the Pinpoint website or speak to a housing options advisor at Salford Housing Options Point.
If you are a social tenant and wish to move you may also be eligible for a mutual exchange, for more information please contact your landlord directly.
This page was last updated on 21 February 2019