Gas safety for property owners and tenants

In the right hands gas is safe, but badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas
It has no taste, no colour or smell and it can make you seriously ill. Carbon monoxide alarms are available from local DIY shops. They work the same way as a smoke alarm. Alarms cost about £20. Remember the alarm should not replace regular servicing of your gas appliances.

It is important to make sure that your gas boiler, gas fire and gas cooker are working safely and correctly. Gas appliances that are left unchecked could be dangerous.

Get your gas boiler, gas fire and gas cooker regularly serviced and safety checked every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Annual servicing not only helps keep your heating and hot water working properly, it helps keep you safe.

Ask for the ID card 
All Gas Safe Registered engineers carry an ID card to show you they are Gas Safe registered. Always check the card.

The council is currently offering owner-occupiers a free Gas Health and Safety check for gas appliances and low-cost repairs. Contact Helping Hands on 0161 793 9419 to see if you qualify. 

Gas safety tips

  • Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service your gas appliances.
  • You can find or check a Gas safe registered engineer by calling free on 0800 408 5500 or alternatively visit the Gas Safe Register website.
  • Always check your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card.
  • Get your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year.
  • The poisonous gas carbon monoxide cannot be seen or smelt. Fit a carbon monoxide alarm to alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
  • If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, turn off the gas at the meter, put out naked flames, open windows and immediately call the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999.
  • To chat about gas safety call the gas safe FREE helpline on 0800 111 999.

More information about energy efficiency advice is available for landlords and tenants.

Never let unknown visitors in to your home, if in doubt keep them out. If you ever get an unexpected knock at the door try and look through a window or spy hole to see who it is. If you have a door chain, put it on and always check they have an identity card.

All Gas Safe registered engineers carry a Gas Safe Register ID card with their own unique licence number showing the type of work they are qualified to do. Before any gas work is carried out always ask for the engineers ID card. Remember to check both sides of the ID car for the licence number, start and expiry date of the registration, the security hologram, the work your engineer is registered to do and the engineers up to date qualifications.

Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are registered to work safely and legally on gas appliances, by law all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register. All Gas Safe registered engineers are listed on the Gas Safe Register or 0800 408 5500.

Do you rent?

Your landlord has to have the gas appliance safety checked once a year by law and should service them regularly.

As a tenant always

  • ask for a copy of the landlord’s current gas safety record before you move in or after the check has been carried out.
  • co-operate with your landlord and let a registered engineer in when a gas safety check or service has been done.
Rate this page