House to house collections

When a collector going door to door makes a collection of goods or money, a house to house collection permit is required.

There are regulations which govern this type of collection. Some charities obtain exemptions from the Home Office when a national collection is being made. However, as a general rule house to house collections cannot be undertaken unless prior permission has been obtained from the council. Prior permission can be obtained by completing an appropriate form. There is no cost for the issuing of consent but there are rules to be followed in applying. Collections are usually made by charities. Consents are restricted to enable charities to raise money without their collections clashing with those of other charities.

The purpose of the legal requirement to obtain consent is to ensure collectors are properly authorised and that money is collected in a secure way and the total proceeds collected are properly accounted for.

A statement of return form will also be sent out to collectors along with the permit. This form refers to details of the collection including the amount of money collected. The statement of return must be completed and returned to the local authority within 28 days.

Charitable collections

Rate this page