Report a dangerous building

Report dangerous buildings and structures

Unstable brickwork, roofs, boundary walls, fire damaged buildings, etc, represent, potentially, a very high risk to public safety and are therefore given high priority.

If you consider a building or structure presents an imminently dangerous condition to members of the public please contact us during office hours on 0161 779 6175. Outside office hours call our emergency number 0161 794 8888. Please note, in some instances it may be more appropriate to contact Emergency Services on 999. 

We respond to all reports in Salford within one or two hours on a 24 hour, 365 days a year basis. 

If there is potential danger to public safety or building occupants, we have legal powers that require the owners of buildings or structures to remedy the defects. Subject to the nature of the danger, we will if possible give the owner an opportunity to do the work themselves, although we can complete the work in default in certain circumstances. 

Dangerous Buildings are controlled by Salford City Council under Sections 77 and 78 of the Building Act 1984.

Report an empty insecure property

Empty, derelict and insecure properties can have a considerable impact on an area.

It is the owner’s responsibility to provide and maintain security to a property. However, should they fail to fulfil their responsibility, Salford City Council may intervene. Wherever possible we will first of all give the owner an opportunity to do the work themselves although we can complete this works in default in certain instances.

We will normally resolve the situation and secure the property by the implementation of Section 29 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.

What to do if you have a problem

Report it using our contact us form

Rate this page