Do I need planning permission?

This depends on what you want to do. Some minor alterations, a conservatory or extension, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission.

The government has given a range of minor developments planning permission, so that you don't need to apply for extra permission for them. This is called 'permitted development'.

You may also need planning permission to change the use of your property, for example from a shop to an office or the conversion of a dwelling into flats. In addition, the city council removed permitted development rights from 25 November 2018 in some parts of the city for the change of use of a typical dwellinghouse to a ‘small’ house in multiple occupation. This has been done through the introduction of an article 4 direction

If you want a formal decision as to whether planning permission is required you will need to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for which a fee is payable. Full details can be found on our submitting an application page.

Alternatively, if you do not require a formal determination by way of a Lawful Development Certificate, but would like a written opinion from Urban Vision as to whether planning permission or advertisement consent is required, you can submit one of the three forms below to Urban Vision. A fee of £40 (including VAT) made payable to Salford City Council must accompany such requests.

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

This page was last updated on 29 November 2018

Get planning advice

Rate this page