UK Parliament

Members of Parliament (MP) are elected to the House of Commons at a Parliamentary General Election.

A general election has to take place within five years of the last general election, which was held on 12 December 2019. However, the government may call a general election at any time during that five year period.

The political party with the majority of seats in the House of Commons forms the government. Political parties in the minority form the opposition.

For electoral purposes the United Kingdom is divided into 650 constituencies.

Salford has two constituencies - Worsley and Eccles South and Salford and Eccles. Both seats are currently held by Labour. Please note: Kersal and Broughton wards will come under the jurisdiction of Manchester City Council in Blackley and Broughton Borough Constituency, which is also currently held by Labour.

Worsley and Eccles South Parliamentary Constituency

Member of Parliament: Barbara Keeley MP

Salford and Eccles Parliamentary Constituency

Member of Parliament: Rebecca Long Bailey

Blackley and Broughton Parliamentary Constituency

Member of Parliament: Graham Stringer MP

Not sure which of these areas applies to you? Find out who your MP is by visiting the UK Parliament website.

Contacting your MP

The best way to contact your MP is to write to him or her at the House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA. All MPs have Westminster offices and will make arrangements for their mail to be dealt with or redirected when they are away from London, so it is much better to write to them there than in their constituency office or at their home address.

Writing a letter about a problem, rather than telephoning, is a good idea as you can explain things clearly and your MP will have the written details of your case which he or she may find it useful to refer to later.

You can telephone your MP's office at the House of Commons by telephoning the switchboard on 0207 219 3000 and asking to be connected to the appropriate MP's office. It is worth remembering that the members' staff are likely to be very busy and may work in a large noisy office so it may not be easy for them to note down complicated and lengthy information. For this reason, again it may be better to write.

It is also sometimes possible to contact your MP by telephoning his or her local constituency office. Constituency contact information is available below.

The House of Commons does not have a general fax number, although some MPs will have their own fax machines. There is no central record of MP fax numbers, so you must telephone your MP's office first if you wish to try to fax some information.

Whichever method you choose, you should generally only contact your local MP as generally MPs will deal only with the problems of their own constituents and not with those of another MP's constituents.

You can find out more at the UK Parliament website.


There's a very useful online resource available for contacting your local MP as well as city councillors. Just visit WriteToThem to find out more.

This page was last updated on 8 February 2022

Election results

Rate this page