Help with energy and other bills

Helping you with the cost of living banner and Spirit of Salford logo

If you’re struggling to pay your bill, talk to your supplier as soon as possible about reviewing payments, more time to pay, access to hardship funds and extra support if you’re older or living with a disability. 

For immediate support with an emergency supply of gas or electric where there is no heating in the household, contact Salford Assist. Check to see if you meet the eligibility criteria and fill out an online application form or contact the team on 0800 694 3695.

The government has set out a dedicated support package for households struggling with energy bills over the coming months. You can check the Energy Bill Support Factsheet which lays out the different areas this covers.

All households with a domestic electricity connection will qualify for a £400 non-repayable and automatic discount to help with energy bills over Winter. You can find out how you will receive the energy discount. Find out how the Energy Bill Support Alternative Funding scheme will support households that don’t have a domestic electricity contract, use alternative fuels like heating oil, live in park homes, or those on heat networks. 

  • For details of energy advice, grant schemes for insulation or replacing old boilers, help with arrears, switching from costly pre-payment meters to credit meters and energy saving tips check Warm Salford.
  • Owner occupiers/private renters without gas central heating may qualify for Connected for Warmth which provides a free heating and hot water system for those eligible. Call free on 0800 029 4547.
  • You may be able to get £140 off your electricity bill under the Warm Homes Discount Scheme if you are on a low income or get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit.
  • You may be able to get a cold weather payment through the government if you are getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest. This is where you can get £25 when the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees Celsius or below over 7 consecutive days.
  • If you were born on or before 25 September 1956 you may be eligible to claim between £250 and £600 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.
  • The Priority Services Register is a free support service to help people in vulnerable situations at risk of disconnection and is offered by energy suppliers and network operators. Check if you are eligible and can register with your supplier.
  • You can sign up to Electricity North West’s Extra Care Register to benefit from a variety of free support services in the event of a power cut.
  • National Energy Action has a number of resources and advice if you are struggling with your energy bills.
  • Martin Lewis of Money Saving Expert shares a wide range of tips on keeping yourself warm and saving money on fuel and other expenses. You can also use the Money Saving Expert Energy Price Cap Calculator as a guide for how much you will pay under the most recent price cap from October using rough estimates based on your energy usage.
  • United Utilities can also provide a range of support to help you if you are struggling to pay your water bill, including flexible payment options and financial support.

Support with the Cost of Living

Rate this page