If you support tenants who struggle to pay the rent this workshop will cover everything you need to know about the universal credit housing element. The workshop has been updated to include the impact of becoming a full service area from September 2018.
It is ideal for anyone who already has a working knowledge of Universal Credit or who has attended previous Universal Credit workshops.
- Who can have their rent or mortgage paid by universal credit
- Impact of becoming a full digital service area
- Temporary and supported accommodation and housing benefit
- Rent restrictions (bedroom tax, local housing allowance, service charges)
- Impact of the benefit cap
- Changes to non-dependent deductions/housing cost contributions
- Moving house? Understanding assessment periods to get the timing right
- Who can get payments direct to the landlord and the practicalities of getting an alternative payment arrangement
- Discretionary housing payments
- Deductions for rent arrears
What participants on previous workshops said:
- “Excellent. Enjoyed & appreciated that it was specific to housing issues” Irwell Valley
- “Feel more confident to discuss Universal Credit with the families I support”.
- “Very well put together with the right mix of presentations/exercise & discussion”.
- “Trainer is clear, easy to understand and very knowledgeable” Tenancy support office
We will be running our next programme of welfare reform workshops from January 2019. If you would like one of the workshops or a bespoke workshop for your team then please contact Debbie.email@example.com for details.