Information required to support your claim

You will be told, at the end of your application, what supporting information we need from you to complete your claim, however in some circumstances we might not require any. You can upload this information immediately with your application. When you have finished completing your claim you will be advised of what to do next.

If you are unable to provide all the information at the time of making your claim, you can either, upload afterwards using an electronic link provided in an email from the Benefits team (This will be after your claim has been looked at by an officer and may be delayed during busy periods), bring the information to a Gateway Centre or Broughton Hub or if you’re a Salix Homes, Pendleton Together or ForHousing tenant, you can take the information to your Local Housing Office where you will receive assistance. Please do not send valuable documents through the post. We need all information requested within one month of making your claim.

Evidence we can accept to support your claim

Proof of National Insurance number

Examples include P45, P60, wage slips, letters from the Department for Work and Pensions or HM Revenue and Customs, National Insurance number card.

Proof of identity

Examples include birth certificate, marriage certificate, passport, National Insurance number card, driving licence, UK resident permit, EEC identity card, letter from a solicitor, the Department for Work and Pensions or HM Revenue and Customs, bank statements (dated in the last four weeks) or recent gas or electricity bill. We need to see at least two of these documents for you and two for your partner.

Proof of savings and investments

Examples include bank or building society account statements (we need the last two statements or a statement showing details for at least the last two months), post office books, Premium Bonds, National Savings Certificates, ISAs, TESSAs, stocks, shares and unit trusts. We need to see proof of any interest or dividends you get on investments and savings.

Proof of earnings

We need proof for you and your partner and any other adults living in your home for each job you do. Payslips can be provided (the last five if paid weekly or last two if paid monthly) or your employer can fill in an earnings certificate (please request this if it has not been provided).


If you or your partner are self-employed, we need to see your accounts for the last financial year or, if you have been trading for less than six months, a summary of your trading records so far. We will also send you a self-employment certificate to fill in.

Proof of other income

Pension slips from a previous employer or a letter from the court showing how much maintenance you or your partner, or both, are getting. We need proof of any money people pay you for board and lodgings. We need proof for you and your partner and any other adults living in your home.

Proof of benefits, allowances or pensions

Such as current award notices or letters from the Department for Work and Pensions, or bank statements confirming how much you get.

Proof of rent (private tenants only)

Your tenancy agreement, your rent book, a letter from the landlord or the landlord's agent, or you can request a Proof of Rent form that can be filled in by your landlord or their agent.

Proof of other money paid out

Letters about student grants or maintenance agreements or proof of child care payments you make (we will send you a child care form to fill in).

This page was last updated on 29 January 2024

Rate this page