Apply to approve your premises to hold ceremonies

Salford City Council can consider an application for approved premises, to allow the venue to hold non-religious civil ceremonies. For example, this allows hotels, public buildings and so on to apply to the local authority for a licence to enable wedding and civil partnership ceremonies to take place. The application must be approved by the local authority in the area they are situated.

An application for approval must be made by the proprietor or trustee of the premises. When an application is made on behalf of a limited company or partnership, the details of all directors and partners must also be provided. 

There are certain legal requirements that must be fulfilled before any approval can be granted and full guidance is provided within the application form. 

A requirement of the application process is that the application is publicised for 21 days during which time objections to the application can be made by members of the public. 

Public notices for current applications received by Salford Register Office are published online, along with details on how to make an objection. 

How to apply

To make an application you will need to submit:

  • The application form from the proprietor or trustee of the premises

Download application form (Microsoft Word format, 36kb)

Or obtain the following from the Register Office (whose details are shown below):

  • Plans of the premises which clearly identifies the room(s) in which the proceedings will take place
  • The fee of £1,000. This must be paid by credit/debit card.

The approval process 

The Register Office will publish the application on the council’s website and make it available for inspection. It will also consult with the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Services and Police Services. An inspection visit to the premises, by the Superintendent Registrar will also be required. The consultation period lasts for 21 days and if there are no objections and the premises is deemed suitable the approval will be granted 28 days after the end of the consultation period. 

Validity and renewals 

Once approved, the licence will be granted for three years. You should apply to renew your licence nine months before the expiry of the current licence. The process for renewing the licence will be the same as applying for the first one. Please note if any additional rooms are required to be approved this is treated as a new application.


View the list of approved venues that are currently licensed. 


Please contact the Register Office in the first instance.

Further guidance is available below. 

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

Who to contact

Superintendent Registrar
Town Hall
Chorley Road
M27 5DA

Map to this location
0161 793 2500

This page was last updated on 30 October 2023

Rate this page