Where to get married

Getting married in a church or other religious building

If you are getting married in any religious building you may still have to give notice of marriage to the register office in the district where you live. 

Church of England

If you are getting married in the Church of England and you have never been through any form of marriage before, you need to contact the vicar of the church to arrange to have your Wedding Banns read. If you have been divorced, please contact the vicar, as he may agree to the wedding and ask you to give your notice of marriage to the register office. Please contact the vicar or register office if you need further advice.

Other churches/religious buildings

If you are getting married in any other religious building, you must still give notice as if you were getting married in a register office for the district where you live. The church or religious building must normally be situated in the district where you or your partner live, unless either of you usually go to worship in that building. You may also get married in another district if there is no building of your religion in the district where you or your partner lives. Please contact the register office if you need further advice.

Fees for registrar

A registrar from the district covering the building must be present at the wedding. Alternatively, the governing body of the religious building can choose someone to register the marriage instead of the registrar.

If the registrar from the local register office is required to attend, the fee will be £88 (including the marriage certificate).

Getting married in approved civil venues

Civil marriages are permitted in buildings other than a place of worship or register office. Venues must have been approved by local authorities as a suitable venue for civil marriages.

These venues can include hotels, restaurants and civil buildings. Marriages are not allowed to take place outdoors in temporary or moveable structures such as marquees or boats.

Arranging a wedding at an approved venue

To arrange a wedding at an approved venue, you must first contact the venue to make provisional arrangements and then the register office of the district in which the venue is located. This is to make sure the registrar can attend your wedding on the day and at the time you have chosen.

If you wish to provisionally book a date and time with the register office before giving your legal notice of marriage, you may do so. This will secure your day and time but you must pay a booking fee of £30 which is not refundable.

You will still need to give your notice of marriage to the district where you live and you will have to give your marriage authority or authorities to the register office in the district where you are getting married.

Fees for 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018

The fees for getting married in approved venues are set by each local authority and will not be the same throughout the country.

The fees for getting married at approved venues within the Salford registration district for ceremonies taking place between 1 April to 31 March 2018 are:

  • Monday to Thursday: £284
  • Friday: £324
  • Saturday: £354
  • Sundays and bank holidays: £394

Different fees applies for special dates such as Valentine's day. Please enquire for these fees.

A deposit is payable at the time of booking your ceremony which is 50% of the fee and is not refundable.

The final balance of payment is due three months before your ceremony date.

In the event of cancellation within three months of your ceremony you will not be entitled to a refund.

After booking your ceremony, please be aware that a £30 administration charge is applicable should you wish to change the date or time.

Fees are reviewed annually every April. This will apply to all ceremonies taking place on or after this date. 

For details of our fees from April 2018 please see our fees page.

Times registrars will attend approved venues

  • Monday to Friday - 12.30pm, 2pm, 3.30pm, 5pm
  • Saturday and Sunday - 1pm, 2.30pm, 4pm, 5.30pm

Approved venues

Ainscow Hotel
Trinity Way
Telephone: 0161 827 1650

Albert's Worsley
East Lancashire Road
M27 0AA
Telephone: 0161 794 1234

Copthorne Hotel Manchester
Clippers Quay
Salford Quays
Telephone: 0161 873 7321

54 Oldfield Road
Telephone: 0161 737 7341

Holiday Inn Media City
White Media City 
Telephone: 0161 789 3736 

Marriott Worsley Park Hotel and Country Club
Worsley Park
Telephone: 0161 799 6187

Novotel Manchester
Worsley Brow
Telephone: 0161 799 3535

On the 7th 'within Media Enterprise Centre'
Blue Media City 
Telephone: 0161 886 5500

Ordsall Hall Museum
Ordsall Hall
322 Ordsall Lane
Telephone: 0161 872 0251
Email: ordsallhallweddings@scll.co.uk

The Lowry
Pier 8
Salford Quays
Telephone: 0161 876 2045

The Lowry Hotel
Dearmans Place
Telephone: 0161 827 4000

AJ Bell Stadium 
1 Stadium Way 
Telephone: 0161 786 1570
Email: ajbellstadiumevents@azure.uk.com

Venues owned by Salford City Council

Worsley Court House
Barton Road
Telephone: 0161 737 6277

Buile Hill Park Banqueting Suite
Buile Hill Park
Eccles Old Road
Telephone: 0161 737 6277

You can also get married in the Salford Register Office.

Ceremonies outside England and Wales

If you are getting married or entering into a civil partnership outside of England and Wales different rules apply depending on the country where you choose to have your ceremony. 

You should always consult with the authorities in the country where you are planning to have your ceremony in the first instance. This is to ensure you have all the legal paperwork required prior to your ceremony taking place and you may also be asked to complete legal paperwork within that country. 

You may also be asked to provide a ‘Certificate of No Impediment’ which confirms there are no objections to a proposed marriage or civil partnership, and some countries may ask for this. If you live in Salford, the Register Office can sometimes provide this document, however they cannot be issued for all countries due to various legislation, and therefore you should telephone the Register Office for advice.   

If you do need further advice on getting married or having a civil partnership abroad, you must provide the nationality for BOTH of you, where you both reside and also the country where you wish to hold your ceremony. 

You may also check the GOV.UK website for further information on ceremonies outside England and Wales, and if a certificate of no impediment is required. Sometimes this certificate of no impediment may need further legalisation with an apostille certificate, or a legal translation. You should check with the authorities of the country who is conducting your ceremony for this. The Register Office will not be able to advise you after issuing the certificate of no impediment.  

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

This page was last updated on 24 November 2017

Rate this page