Legal requirements to get married

You must make an appointment at the Salford Register Office to give notice of marriage.

You will be required to pay the booking fee at the time of making the appointment. This fee will then be transferred to your notice fee, once you have attended your appointment and submitted all the relevant documentation.

You should make every effort to attend together if you both live in the Salford area, but if this is inconvenient you may come in separately.

Please note if you fail to attend, or fail to bring the correct documentations you will have lost your booking fee and will be required to pay again for an alternative appointment.

Book an appointment

Details of how to change or cancel your appointment will be included in your confirmation email once you have booked an appointment.

If you do not have access to book online you can call 0161 793 2500 to arrange your appointment.

Procedures and fees

Before you can get married there are a number of legal requirements that must be satisfied.

By law you have to give a notice of marriage which is a formal declaration of your intention to marry. The notice is a legal statement signed by you. A friend or relative cannot do this on your behalf.

Changes to giving notice

Please note that from 2 March 2015 the notice period will be increasing from 15 clear days to 28 clear days. For any none-EEA nationals without settled status, a marriage or civil partnership visa or evidence of immigration status, a referral will be sent to the Home Office for further investigation. This will mean that all non-EEA nationals within the scope of the referral scheme, may have the waiting period extended from 28 days to 70 days if their case is still being considered.

For more information see the GOV.UK website.

Giving notice of marriage

You are both required to give your notice of marriage to the register office in the district where you live. You must have lived in the district at least seven days before giving notice. There is a standard fee payable for this.

The marriage ceremony can take place at any register office within England and Wales but if you were to change the venue as stated in your notice, it would be necessary to give and pay for fresh notices.

If you live in a different district to where the marriage will take place, you will need to apply for and collect the authority for your marriage to take place. This will be issued 16 days after you have given notice.

Your marriage cannot go ahead unless the legal formalities have been completed.

How much notice is required

You cannot give a notice of marriage more than 12 months before the date of the wedding. A marriage cannot take place until 28 days after you have given the notice. Please note, if you are a non-EEA national and you are referred to the Home Office for investigation, you will not be able to book a date for your ceremony here at Salford until all the checks and documentation has been issued.

Provisional bookings

If you wish to book a date and time for your ceremony before giving your legal notice we offer a provisional booking service to allow you to secure your date and time. A non-refundable booking fee of £30 is required. This fee is a one off payment and is not deducted from any other ceremony fees. Please contact the register office on 0161 793 2500 to use this service.


  • Notice of marriage: £35 per person (this is payable at the time of booking your appointment). This payment is to secure your appointment and to enable the Registrar to check all your documents. The booking fee will then be transferred to your notice fee. Failure to attend your appointment will result in the loss of your appointment fee, and you will need to pay again to secure an appointment.
  • Wedding at a register office: £46 plus £11 for each certificate required. Please note this room is only available for four people including the witnesses.
  • Wedding in the ceremony room: £150 from Monday to Thursday, £170 on Friday and £220 on Saturday. In addition, there's a further £11 per certificate required.
  • Please note: a deposit of 50% of the fee is payable at the time of booking your ceremony (usually when you give notice) which is not refundable.
  • The final balance for your ceremony payment is due three months before the date of your ceremony.
  • Please note: in the event of cancellation within three months of your ceremony date, you are not entitled to a refund.

Fees are reviewed by the General Register Office and the local authority each year. Any increase in fees is effective from 1 April each year. This will apply to all ceremonies taking place on or after this date.

This page was last updated on 17 August 2020

Rate this page