Burial grounds

In 1854 the then Salford Borough Council received powers to provide burial places for the inhabitants of Salford, Pendleton and Broughton townships and part of Pendlebury township, all situated within the boundary of the borough.

On 1 September 1857 the council's first municipal cemetery - Weaste Cemetery - was opened followed on 2 July 1903 by a second, at Agecroft, was opened. Peel Green Cemetery, in the former Eccles borough, opened in June 1879. On 23 November 1885 Swinton and Pendlebury Cemetery was opened in Swinton, for the inhabitants of part of Swinton and Worsley.

Please visit our cemeteries pages to view details of their individual histories including who to contact for further information or to request a grave search.

Salford Local History Library holds transcripts, usually arranged by name, copied from monumental inscriptions in several local burial grounds. In some cases they are for burial grounds which have been 'landscaped' by the local authority and the gravestones removed or buried. With graveyards of the Church of England, the local authority - before 'landscaping' takes place - usually agrees to make three transcripts. One is retained by the local authority, one is sent to the clergyman in charge of the parish and one is sent to the diocesan registry of the diocese.

Rate this page