Part-occupied property

A ratepayer will be liable for the full business rates of the property whether it is either fully or only partly occupied.

If a ratepayer occupies only part of an existing assessment and this is a permanent arrangement, then the Valuation Office would normally be requested to re-value the property to correctly reflect the separately occupied area.

Where a ratepayer is partially occupying the property for a short period of time Salford Council has the discretion to award a relief in respect of the unoccupied part of the property.

How to apply

You need to contact us as soon as the partial occupancy begins. An inspection of the premises is normally made by the Council to confirm the partial occupancy. You are also required to provide a plan of the premises so that the Valuation Office Agency can accurately apportion the rateable value.

Apply for part-occupied property relief

Scan Zone

Scan Zone

After you've submitted one of our forms we may contact you to supply further supporting evidence. You can do so by visiting one of our Scan Zones. Scan Zones are located in all the Gateways and Broughton Hub, they are touch screen, tablet devices that allow customers to self-scan documents.

Read more about Scan Zones 

Rate this page