Council tax bands

We have been made aware of agents operating in the area offering to check council tax bandings for a fee. You do not need to pay an external company to have your council tax banding checked, you can request this for free by contacting the Valuation Office Agency.

The amount of council tax payable is set annually by the city council.

The actual amount payable depends on the value of your property and the current rates for Salford. The law defines what the relationship between each valuation band must be. For example, the bills for properties in band A must be two thirds of the bills for properties in band D in the same local area.

If you need to find out your council tax band please search Your Salford.

Salford's council tax bands for 2024 to 2025 are:

Valuation band Property value Council tax charge
A- £1,291.36
A Up to £40,000 £1,549.63
B £40,001 to £52,000 £1,807.91
C £52,001 to £68,000 £2,066.19
D £68,001 to £88,000 £2,324.46
E £88,001 to £120,000 £2,841.00
F £120,001 to £160,000 £3,357.55
G £160,001 to £320,000 £3,874.09
H More than £320,000 £4,648.92

For further information on your council tax bill please see our council tax leaflet page.

How are properties assessed for council tax?

Each dwelling has been allocated to one of eight bands by a listing officer according to its open market capital value at 1 April 1991. You can check the council tax band for your property on the government's Valuation Office website.

Do you think your home is in the wrong band?

The council doesn’t decide what council tax band your home is in. That’s done by the Valuation Office Agency. If you’d like to appeal your band, please contact them. Find out more on the appeals process.

Here's how to check whether you may have a valid claim:

  1. Compare your property's band with that of your neighbours
  2. Work out your house price at 1991 levels through Money Saving Expert
  3. If you think your property is in the wrong council tax band, further advice is available from GOV.UK

New properties and completion notices 

Before a bill for council tax can be sent for a new dwelling, or one that has been converted from an existing building, the dwelling will need to be listed in the council’s valuation list and given a council tax band by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). The council will normally serve a completion notice on the owner of a newly completed dwelling, or conversion. The date of the completion notice will normally be used by the VOA as the date it will be entered into the list and the date that council tax can be charged from. If a dwelling is already complete and occupied a completion notice may not be needed and the VOA may use the occupation date as the date to enter it into the list.  

If the work remaining to be done to complete a dwelling, or conversion, could reasonably be undertaken within a three month period, a completion notice may be issued to the owner specifying the date within the next three months that it could be substantially completed by. This will then be the date that the VOA is asked to enter the property onto the council’s valuation list.

The 'owner' of an empty or unoccupied dwelling is defined as 'the person entitled to possession'.

A completion notice is issued in accordance with Schedule 4A of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 and Section 17 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. 

This page was last updated on 6 March 2024

Rate this page