Anti-social behaviour

Salford City Council deal with complaints of anti-social behaviour from Salford homeowners and private tenants. We use a range of powers from informal actions such as mediation, referrals to support services and warnings right through to legal enforcements through the courts.

What you need to do if you're a social housing tenant

Please report issues directly to your landlord, their contact details are below:

Landlord Telephone
For Housing, (formerly City West Housing) 0300 123 5522
Salix Homes 0800 218 2000
Pendleton Together 0300 555 5567
Onward 0300 555 0600
Great Places 0845 250 4624

What we can deal with

  • Yobbish behaviour and intimidating groups taking over public spaces
  • Threatened use of violence
  • Repeated abusive language or behaviour
  • Hate crimes
  • Repeated incidents of loud noise from a domestic property

Neighbour disputes and how to resolve them

We are unable to take enforcement action in most cases.

For the incidents below we recommend you read the following for more information on how you can resolve these issues for yourself:

Occasional incidents of loud noise and normal living noise

Noise can be investigated by the council.  

Music or noise from a machine

If the noise is from a machine such as from a music player or domestic appliance noise is investigated as a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990

You can report this type of noise nuisance here.

Noise from a person

If the noise is from a person, such as banging and shouting it will be investigated by the anti-social behaviour team.

Types of noise

Residents need to be aware that not all noise would be classed as a nuisance or anti-social behaviour for the purposes of taking enforcement action. One off parties or every day living noise such as people closing doors or going up and down stairs would not be considered to be anti-social behaviour. In these instances we would recommend talking to your neighbour to reach an amicable agreement or if it is not persistent being more tolerant yourself.

When considering whether you are going to report a noise as anti-social behaviour you need to think about the persistence duration, levels and the times of the day that this is occurring.

If you believe it would constitute a nuisance we would recommend recording incidents for a two week period and then reporting the anti-social behaviour online here.

Legally parked vehicles

What the law says

As long as your vehicle is taxed and you are not contravening any other traffic laws, you are allowed to park anywhere on a public highway where it is legal to do so.

Parking outside your own house

Etiquette, good manners and common sense are the main ingredients in avoiding parking disputes with your neighbours. Most people would choose to park outside their own home anyway because of the convenience, but this is not always possible.

No automatic right to park outside your home

Basically, it’s an unwritten ‘rule’ that people will generally tend to park outside their own home but it’s important to note that no one has an automatic right to do so. It’s not always possible and, in addition to residents, other road users also have the right to park outside your home providing they are not contravening the Highway Code.

How to resolve this issue

To resolve this issue, the only thing you can do is to try to have a friendly word with your neighbour and explain to them why you’d prefer to park in front of your own house. You may find that they didn’t realise it bothered you and often simple courtesy and communicating your issue with your neighbour will resolve the problem.

Children playing ball games

Ball games are a lot of fun for the young people playing them, but can become a source of disturbance for others and so can cause a lot of friction in neighbourhoods that would otherwise be very peaceful.

The playing of ball games is not against the law and 'No ball games' signs are not enforceable. However, ball games deliberately and persistently played recklessly and leading to property damage can be classed as anti-social behaviour, something that we take very seriously. 

We take a neutral, balanced view on the issue of ball games and expect residents to take responsibility within their own neighbourhood and work together to reach a compromise. 

Tips for keeping the peace

Footballers, sports people and parents please remember:

  • Respect other residents right to a peaceful and safe environment.  Not everyone will enjoy your game as much as you.
  • Big lads and lasses, if you're having a match head to the park.
  • Use a soft ball to prevent damage to your neighbours fences, gardens and cars. Ask before retrieving play equipment.
  • Where possible play outside your house not anybody else's.
  • Keep the noise and the ball down and do not let your game become anti-social.
  • Don't use foul or abusive language.
  • Don’t kick the ball against neighbours walls or fences.
  • Beware of your own safety and the safety of other road users.
  • Small grassed areas outside homes may only be suitable for younger children.
  • Respect the 'no ball games' and 'considerate use' signs.
  • Parents, check where your children are playing and make sure other residents are not disturbed.
  • Compromise, talk and agree with your neighbours on a time and a place for your games.

Residents, spectators and passers-by please remember:

Playing ball games is not anti-social behaviour.

  • Respect people's right to play in their own neighbourhood.
  • Remember parents/guardians may wish their young children to play nearby.
  • Expect, within reason, the noise of the children/youths playing after school, at weekends and in the evening.
  • 'No ball games' signs are a request not a bylaw.
  • It is not illegal to play football on a grassed verge or open space.
  • There may be only one grassed area for children to play safely in their own neighbourhood.
  • Sometimes it is better for young people to divert their energies into playing sport rather than doing other things.
  • Compromise, create a dialogue, speak to your neighbours to find an agreeable time and location to play.
  • Open spaces are for the use of everyone.

CCTV on private properties

Residents of Salford sometimes complain that a neighbour’s CCTV camera is 'intrusive' and consider this to be anti-social behaviour.

The use of CCTV in general is regulated by the Data Protection Act 1998 which is enforced by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO website contains further advice on domestic use of CCTV.

Photographs or moving images of individuals qualify as 'personal data' for the purposes of the legislation. Although there is an exemption that covers 'personal data processed by an individual', this so-called 'domestic purposes' exemption only applies if the camera’s field of view is restricted to the householder’s own property. In earlier years, it was assumed that the exemption applied even if the camera overlooked the street or other areas near the house. However, following a European Court of Justice ruling in 2014 this assumption no longer holds.

If a householder cannot rely on the domestic purposes exemption, then they are subject to a number of requirements in the Data Protection Act. This includes a need to notify the ICO that they are a 'data controller', observe the eight data protection principles and pay an annual fee. Details of the obligations resulting and of how to notify are published on the ICO website.

If you have already done this and still need assistance you can make a report to us.

Report anti-social behaviour online to the council

You can also report anti-social behaviour to Greater Manchester Police:

  • In a non-emergency call 101
  • If you have an emergency call 999

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

This page was last updated on 11 October 2019

Rate this page