Carers assessment

An assessment is when you talk to a social worker about how you feel and what support will help you with your caring.

It is important you contact Adult Social Care before you reach the end of your tether.

Ask for an assessment

How will a carers assessment help?

You can talk openly to a social worker about your life as a carer - the good bits and the bad.

This assessment is about your needs as a carer but you can also talk about the needs of the person you are caring for.

You can ask for an assessment even if the person you care for does not have an assessment or is not entitled to care and support from the council.

What support is there?

Depending on the assessment, you may be entitled to:

  • short breaks (respite) from caring - a paid carer coming to your home, or the person you care for going somewhere. A carers personal budget can be another way of taking a break
  • changes to equipment 
  • adaptations to the home 
  • emotional support for you, for example joining a carers group
  • checking your welfare benefits to make sure you are getting everything you are entitled to
  • making an emergency plan so that the person you care for is safe, if you are involved in an emergency

Before you have a carers assessment it may be a good idea to make a list, or keep a diary, of everything you do to help look after the person you care for.

If there is more than one carer in your household, you can all have your own assessment.

What will happen after the assessment?

The social worker will record the assessment and anything that needs to change, based on what you tell them. The social worker will write a support plan with you - a plan of what support you need and how you can get it. You will have a copy of your assessment and support plan.

Adult social care is now provided by Northern Care Alliance

Rate this page