Reason one: Smoking is bad for your health!
If you smoke 15 to 20 cigarettes a day, you are very likely to become unwell with respiratory diseases that will affect your day-to-day life. You will also increase your risk of developing heart disease and various cancers. 25-a-day smokers are 25 times more likely to die of lung cancer than non-smokers.
Find out how smoking affects different parts of your body.
Reason two: Smoking is bad for your looks!
When you smoke, you reduce the oxygen in your blood, which causes:
- Premature ageing and wrinkling
- Grey, parched skin
- Gum disease and tooth loss
Reason three: Smoking is a slow poison
There are about 4,000 chemicals in tobacco smoke, at least 50 of which cause cancer. They include:
- Tar (the stuff used to surface roads)
- Carbon monoxide (a poisonous gas)
- Acetone (used in nail polish remover)
- Ammonia (found in cleaning fluids)
- Arsenic (a deadly poison)
- Formaldehyde (preserves dead bodies)
- Cyanide (another deadly poison)
Nicotine is the addictive chemical in tobacco, but it is not the most harmful. All it can cause is just:
- Increase feelings of agitation
- light headedness
Reason four: Smoking is bad for your sex life!
Research has shown that smoking increases the risk of impotence among men in their 40s.
Reason five: Smoking is bad for your bank balance!
- 20-a-day smokers can expect to spend £3,664 per year
- 40-a-day smokers will spend £7,329 per year
These figures are based on a pack of cigarettes costing £10.04.
Find out how much smoking costs you.