Excavation on the highway

Excavation of the public highway, by anyone other than a utility company, can only be carried out with the permission of the city council.

Before works commence on site a permit to excavate in the highway must be obtained and several criteria relating to health and safety issues must be met before the permit can be issued.

Applications for sewer connections, vehicular crossings, temporary vehicle crossings, and projections over the public highway should be made in writing to Highway Services in advance of any work commencing (a minimum of two weeks before the proposed start date is required).

The council's Highway Services section will issue standard drawings and specifications for vehicular crossings upon request. The necessary 'opening' permits will be issued prior to commencement of the works on site.

Written permission authorising sewer connections should be obtained from United Utilities prior to a request for a licence being made to the Highway Services section.

A supervision and permit fee will be charged. This fee shall be determined once your written request and plan(s) have been submitted and shall also be dependant on the extent of the works being carried out.

A New Roads and Street Works accreditation certificate for all the staff involved will be required, evidence of adequate public liability insurance and plans detailing the location of utility plant and apparatus shall also be required before any opening permit/licence can be issued.

Reinstatement of the public highway must be carried out in accordance with the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 and its associated codes of practice. A guarantee period of two or three years will be required dependent on the depth of the excavation.

Payment for all licences and permits

Please note that payment will need to be paid in advance of any application being approved. Please ensure you plan your works correctly, giving a minimum of two weeks’ notice to ensure payment can be processed in full.

Contact details

For help and advice, please email licensingenquiries@salford.gov.uk and we will respond to your request as quickly as possible.

Other useful contact numbers

  • United Utilities - water - 0845 7462200
  • United Utilities - report a leak - 0800 330033
  • United Utilities - electricity - 08450 500036
  • United Utilities - sewers - 08456 020406
  • British Telecom - 0800 800150
  • NTL - 0800 0527259
  • Your Communications - 0800 195 9000
  • Thus Telecommunications - 0800 0271283
  • National Grid Gas (Transco) - if you smell gas, contact 0800 111 999 immediately

Please note if you have any concerns regarding public utility or private excavation works, you can use our online reporting service to notify us.

Who to contact

Highway Services
Swinton Hall Road
M27 4HH
Map to this location
Rate this page