Keeping or training animals for exhibition

Do I need a licence to exhibit my animals?

If you run a business which involves keeping or training animals for exhibition for educational or entertainment purposes, as defined by The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018, you will be required to obtain an animal activity licence from Salford City Council. Exhibiting for entertainment purposes, includes that done in front of a live audience and also includes visual recordings, to be shown at a later date.


In order to obtain an animal activity licence, you need to ensure that you meet the specific licence conditions which relate to that activity. The conditions relating to exhibiting animals can be found in the legislation detailed above and DEFRA has produced a guidance note for exhibiting animals, to assist licence holders comply. The link to this guidance is detailed below and a PDF version is available at the bottom of this page:

Environmental health officers will inspect the premises to check compliance with the legislation, licence conditions and assess the welfare of the animals to ensure they have the following:

  • a suitable environment/place to live
  • a suitable diet including fresh water
  • the ability to exhibit normal behaviour
  • housed, as appropriate, either with or apart from other animals
  • protection from and treatment of pain, suffering, injury or disease

As well as checking general health and safety requirements (in non-domestic premises).

Licence duration

Licences to keep or train animals for exhibition have a statutory duration of three years. 


The fees for keeping and training animals for exhibition are payable in two parts:

  • Application fee – this should be submitted with the application forms (non-refundable).

Please be aware that if you are applying for more than one licensable activity such as hiring out horses and exhibiting horses, as exhibiting animals has a stipulated licence duration of three years, two separate animal activity licences will need to be applied for and paid.

  • Grant fee - once the inspection has been undertaken the grant fee (non-refundable) will then be paid.

Application fees

  • New: £340
  • Renewal: £236

In addition: Grant fee for three years (after inspection)

  • New: £242
  • Renewal: £127

All the above fees do not include any charges incurred from a vet inspection which if required will have to be paid in addition to the licensing fee. A variation fee will be charged for any required changes to the licence once it has been issued.

How to apply

Before you apply you should be fully familiar with the specific licence conditions and be confident in meeting them.

If you wish to apply for a new exhibiting animals activity licence or renew your current licence, you need to complete:

  1. Section 1
  2. Main application form and
  3. Section 10

Please download each of these forms, complete the relevant sections and return the forms, along with the necessary supporting documentation to Environmental Health. This can be emailed to Once fees have been confirmed, a card payment can be made over the phone by telephoning 0161 925 1097, or alternatively the application forms can be posted to Environmental Health, Place Directorate, Salford Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Salford, M27 5FJ with a cheque, made payable to ‘Salford City Council’.

Will my rating be published?

Yes. Once you have been inspected and the officer has determined your star rating, this will be published on our website. The register shows your business name, business address (although if you trade from a domestic premises this is not disclosed), the type(s) of licence(s) you hold and the star rating.

This page was last updated on 21 May 2019

Rate this page