Public rights of way

Salford City Council's rights of way officer is responsible for preparing and updating the definitive right of way network, including the processing of any legal orders that may affect the network or public rights of way.

You can view an interactive map of the public rights of way in Salford.

Council responsibilities

  • To maintain and keep under review the definitive map of rights of way
  • To display the definitive map in council offices
  • To maintain the surface of rights of way including the control of natural vegetation growing on them
  • To assist farmers and landowners with maintenance of approved stiles and gates
  • To signpost footpaths, bridleways and byways where they leave a metalled road, and to carry out way-marking where necessary to help the public find their way
  • To maintain most bridges crossed by rights of way
  • To receive complaints and take appropriate action
  • To assert and protect the rights of the public to use and enjoy rights of way

Viewing the definitive map and statement

The definitive map and statement is a physical document. If you would like to see the definitive map and statement you will need to arrange an appointment. To do so please email

Applying for changes to the definitive map and statement

If you would like to make a request to open up a right of way, please complete the form below titled, 'Definitive map and statement modification order - application pack'.

Temporary footpath closures

Temporary footpath closures lasting for a period of five days or more require ten weeks advance notification for the consultation purposes. An application fee of £750 plus advertising costs is payable for each temporary closure.

Temporary closures for a period not exceeding five days require ten days advance notice. In this instance the application fee is £350.

How to apply

To apply for a temporary closure to a public right of way, you will need to supply a detailed plan of the proposed site, indicating where the footpath will be closed and, if applicable, where it will be re-routed.

Once permission for a temporary closure has been granted, the applicant is responsible for complying with all applicable health and safety regulations and for posting appropriate notices on site.

Applications can be made on our request a temporary road closure page.

Footpath orders

Any change to the definitive right of way network is known as footpath order. This can be either the creation of a new path, a diversion (temporary or permanent) or the extinguishment of a footpath.

Modification Orders

Public Path Orders

Temporary Closures Orders

Report a problem

If you have any faults to report that are related to damaged fences or boundaries, or paths flooded with surface water, let us know.

Report a problem

This page was last updated on 4 February 2022

Rate this page