How to apply for new addresses or postal address changes

Salford City Council, as the highway authority for the city, is responsible for the issuing of new postal addresses and postal address changes and for maintaining a good standard of street nameplates, naming and numbering schemes and improving standards where necessary. Individuals and developers must not allocate their own house numbers, building or street names.

Why do postal addresses change?

Changes in postal address may be the result of a road being bisected by development or the issue of a traffic regulation order - effectively creating two separate lengths of highway. To assist the emergency services in locating a property quickly, the two isolated lengths of highway will be renamed.

This prompts amended postal addressing for properties served by the affected highway. Where a road is renamed, new street nameplates are installed. Properties that have been split into flats will require amended postal addressing.

Who issues or changes postcodes?

Salford City Council is not responsible for issuing new postcodes or postcode changes, this is the responsibility of Royal Mail. However, they will not issue a postcode for a new street/address unless requested to do so by the council.

Salford has seen major redevelopment in recent years which has led the Royal Mail to re-code some areas as there were insufficient postcodes available to serve the new properties. Changes in postal addressing are minimised wherever possible since all parties recognise that any change can cause inconvenience to those affected.

Why doesn’t my address appear on the Royal Mail website?

If an address cannot be found on the Royal Mail website, it maybe they do not know someone is living there. Or, if it is a new property, it will be in the Royal Mail ‘Not Yet Built’ file (NYB). Once the property is occupied and ready to receive mail you will need to contact Royal Mail to activate the address and make it ‘live’ on the Postcode Address File (PAF).

Please contact their address management centre on 0345 6045060 or alternatively complete the Developer Contact – Activate a New Property form to make the address ‘live’.

For more information about how to update an address from NYB to PAF see Royal Mail’s information sheet.

For any other questions about postcodes contact the Royal Mail.

How to apply for a new address or request an address change

Requests to register a new address(es) or for changes in postal addressing should be made to the Naming and Numbering Team at or alternatively can be sent via post to the address below.

Please download our guidance document below which outlines what we need to look into your request and the costs to carry out the service. Additional information may be asked for when necessary to process a request.

Traffic and Transportation
Salford City Council
Salford Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5AS

National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG)

The council has signed an agreement which alters the mechanism by which new addresses are now created using the National Land and Property Gazetteer.

Updates are automatically sent to interested parties who will be notified by a central hub of the NLPG and, as a result, with effect from October 2007, postal address change information is no longer published on this website.

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

Street naming and numbering

Rate this page