Japanese Knotweed

Japanese Knotweed

Japanese Knotweed is a strong-growing, clump-forming perennial, with tall, dense annual stems.

Stem growth is renewed each year from the stout, deeply-penetrating rhizomes (creeping underground stems). It is widespread around Salford appearing on waste ground, along watercourses and areas of previous tipping.

It is classed as an invasive species of plant, and is considered a particular problem as it can block footpaths and damage concrete, tarmac, flood defences and the stability of river banks.

Japanese Knotweed does not spread from seeds in the UK. It is spread when small pieces of the plant or rhizomes (underground root-like stems) are broken off. One piece of rhizome or plant the size of a fingernail can produce a new plant.

Pieces of plant or rhizome can be transported to a new location by:

  • water - if the parent plant is close to a river or stream
  • moving soil which contains them
  • fly-tipping cut or pulled stems

Individual plants can cover several square metres of land, joined up below ground by an extensive rhizome network.

Legal implications

  • It is not illegal to have Japanese Knotweed on your land
  • You do not need to notify anyone about Japanese Knotweed on your land
  • You are not obliged to remove or treat Japanese Knotweed, but you must not:
    • allow Japanese Knotweed to spread onto adjacent land - the owner of that land could take legal action against you
    • plant or encourage the spread of Japanese Knotweed outside of your property - this can include moving contaminated soil from one place to another or incorrectly handling and transporting contaminated material and plant cutting

What should you do

On your property, you should aim to control this plant and, to prevent it becoming a problem in your neighbourhood. If it does have a detrimental effect of a persistent or continuing nature on the quality of life of those in the locality new legislation could be used to enforce its control.

Control can be carried out by the homeowner (download a guidance sheet belowand doesn't require a specialist company. However, a specialist company will be skilled at control and can dispose of the plant waste.

Large stands of knotweed or knotweed on development sites require specialist treatment.

On no account should Japanese Knotweed be included with normal household waste or put out in green waste collection schemes.

Where problems with Japanese Knotweed occur in neighbouring gardens, we suggest that you speak or correspond directly with your neighbours (who may already be taking action to control this difficult weed).

Report Japanese Knotweed

If you are concerned about Japanese Knotweed on land in Salford let us know. Where it is on land owned by the council, we will include it in our treatment programme. If it is not on council land, we will endeavour to inform the relevant land owner.

Report it online

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

This page was last updated on 31 May 2016

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK