How to pay or appeal against a parking or bus lane Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)

Independent online guidance regarding Penalty Charge Notice enforcement by local authorities can be found on the PATROL website.


Civil Enforcement Officers have the power to issue a penalty charge notice (PCN) to a vehicle or motorists when a traffic contravention has been observed either on the street or in any car parks that are subject to parking regulations.

A Penalty Charge Notice of £50 or £70, depending on the severity of the infringement will be reduced by 50% to either £25 or £35, if paid on or before 14 days of the Penalty Charge Notice`s issue date.

If you have received a PCN for parking outside a school or in a restricted bus stop clearway and wish to view the CCTV evidence, please visit our parking portal and select 'Challenge a PCN' then 'Formal Representation'. Once you've entered your notice details you'll see the digital evidence.

Bus lanes

Bus lane PCNs notifications are only issued by post. These penalty charges are issued at £60, discounted to £30 if paid within 14 days of issue (if date of contravention detection was before 31 May 2022) and discounted for 21 days if the contravention detection date was on or after 31 May 2022.

If you have received a PCN for being in a bus lane and wish to view the photographic evidence, please visit our parking portal and select 'Challenge a PCN' then 'Formal Representation'. Once you've entered your notice details you'll see the images.

Who is responsible

The registered keeper/owner of a vehicle or its hirer is the person responsible for paying the penalty, regardless of whether that person was the driver or not.

Operational enforcement of parking regulations is undertaken on behalf of Salford City Council by our contractor NSL Ltd.

Paying or challenging a notice

For PCNs issued Monday to Thursday, please wait 24 hours before attempting payment. For PCNs issued Friday to Sunday, please attempt payment from Monday onwards.

You may pay or challenge a penalty charge notice in the following ways:

Alternatively, payment can be made by post by sending a cheque or postal order, made payable to Salford City Council, to: Parking Services, PO Box 491, Manchester M28 8DU.


If you feel a penalty charge notice has been wrongly issued you can now appeal, or 'make a challenge'. Rather than make an online challenge, if you prefer you can do so by sending a letter to Salford City Council at the address shown on the notice. If you need to submit any evidence in support of your challenge, such as copy of a valid pay and display ticket, parking permit or Blue Badge, please do so as an attachment or include it with your letter. Please quote the Penalty Charge Notice number in all correspondence.

Should this challenge be rejected and the penalty remain unpaid, a 'notice to owner' form will be issued that will provide a further opportunity to make representations to the council. Please note that service of a bus lane PCN has the same effect as a notice to owner to which representations can be made. Should these representations be rejected, an appeal may then be made to an independent body, the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. Further information can found on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website.

Referral of unpaid penalties

Unpaid penalties are referred to the Traffic Enforcement Centre at Northampton County Court, who may authorise warrants to be issued for recovery of these debts by bailiffs.

What to do if you’ve lost your ticket

If you have lost your ticket (PCN), please send an e-mail to with your name and address and the vehicle registration details and the relevant PCN reference/s will provided in an e-mail reply.

This page was last updated on 6 December 2022

Parking, roads and travel

Rate this page