Report a stray, roaming or dangerous dog

An unattended dog in a public place is a stray dog. The dog wardens collect stray dogs on a daily basis from the Salford and Trafford areas and try to find owners to reunite them as soon as possible.

What should I do if I find a stray dog?

If the dog is found between 8am and 4pm, Monday to Friday, report it to the dog warden service.

Report a stray dog

They will collect the dog from you as soon as possible.

What if I don’t live in Salford or Trafford?

We advise that you do not take the dog home as our dog warden service is unable to collect out of the Salford and Trafford areas. We recommend that you take the dog to a veterinary practice within Salford or Trafford who will scan the dog for a microchip and hopefully reunite the dog with their owner. 

Alternatively, the dog can be taken to Manchester and Cheshire Dogs home. If the dog is found on a Sunday afternoon, you can take the dog to our own kennels at Turnpike Depot, 631, Eccles New Road, M50 1SW. Please call 0161 794 8888 before attending Turnpike kennels, to ensure someone is available to receive the dog.

What if I find a dog out of hours?

If you are able, then you can keep the dog until the next working day and arrange for the dog warden to come and collect.

Alternatively, the council has two out of hours drop-off points:

Between 6pm and 11pm Monday to Thursday please call 0161 794 8888. Arrangements will be made to drop the dog off at:

Turnpike Depot
631 Eccles New Road
M50 1SW

Please call before attending. This will cut down any waiting time.

Saturday, Sunday and all bank holidays between 9am and 5pm dogs can be taken to the council's nominated kennels at:

Manchester and Cheshire Dogs' Home Head Office

Crofter’s House
Moss Brook Road
Manchester M9 5PG

Telephone: 0844 504 1212

Please note the neither the council or Manchester and Cheshire Dogs Home operate an out-of-hours collection during these times.

In order to drop off a dog at either of these locations, you will be required to bring valid ID containing your name and address. Please note dogs will not be accepted without valid ID.

What should I do if I see a roaming dog

If you've seen a dog roaming unsupervised in a public place please report this to our dog warden service by using the form below.

Report a roaming dog

How do I report a dangerous dog?

Owners of dangerous dogs of any breed can be prosecuted under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. It is an offence for any dog to put a person in fear of their safety.

Dangerous dogs, where there is a known owner, should be reported to the police on 0161 872 5050/101.

Dangerous stray dogs should be reported to the council's dog warden service using the form below.

Report a roaming dog

How do I report that my dog is lost?

If your dog is missing please see our report a lost dog page.

This page was last updated on 1 January 2024

Rate this page