From the Department for Education
We will protect all pupils that would have lost their entitlement to free school meals as a result of the change in the qualifying period.
This will operate as follows:
- Any pupil eligible for free school meals before 1 April 2018 will keep their free school meal eligibility until 31 March 2022.
- Any pupil who becomes eligible during the roll-out of the Universal Credit (from 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2022) will keep their eligibility until 31 March 2022.
- Once the roll-out of Universal Credit has completed (31 March 2022), any losing pupil will continue to be transitionally protected until the end of their current phase of education eg primary/secondary.
- This applies whether parents receive Universal Credit or legacy benefits.
- Pupils will keep their eligibility even if their circumstances change between 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2022.