Ellesmere Park High School


Wentworth Road
M30 9BP

Telephone: 0161 789 4565

Email: ephs@salford.gov.uk

Headteacher: Mr I Ross

School type: Academy

Total number of places for year 7: 180

Total applications received by offer day: 460

Breakdown of offers at offer day (1 March 2023): All applicants in categories 1-6 to a distance of 0.663 miles.

Total numbers of offers made (including alternative offers): 180

Total vacancies: 0

Admissions policy

Where the school receives more applications than places available, the following oversubscription criteria will be applied once places have first been allocated to children who have an education, health and care plan which names the school.

Admissions criteria

  1. Looked after children and previously looked after children. This includes children who have ceased to be looked after because they were adopted or became subject to a child arrangements order or special guardianship order. (Parent/carers of previously looked after children will need to provide a photocopy of the relevant order with the application form)
  2. Children adopted from outside of England. Children who appear to the school to have been in state care outside of England and ceased to be in state care as a result of being adopted. (see note a)
  3. Children in need as defined by the Children Act (1989), i.e. those who are unlikely to achieve or maintain or to have the opportunity of achieving or maintaining a reasonable standard of health or development or a child/children whose health or development would be further impaired without the provision of services by the Local Authority. Confirmation of the child’s needs will be required from their social worker. (see note b)
  4. Brother or sister in attendance at the school (year 7 to year 10 only. Year 11 are considered for in year applications only) at the date when the pupil is to be admitted. This includes stepchildren and foster children living with the same family at the same address. Other children may be considered under the sibling criterion provided proof is available to demonstrate that the children are permanently resident at the same address and part of the same family unit. (The school accepts that in some family units the children may not be natural brothers and/or sisters).
  5. Children living within the catchment area as defined at figure 1 of this admission policy and in note c below. Where oversubscription occurs within this criterion, places will be offered on a random basis. This will be supervised by an independent person as described in note c below.
  6. Children living nearest to the school. The distance will be measured in a straight line using LLPG (Local Land and Property Gazetteer) information to measure the distance between the address point (including flats) of the child’s home address and the centre of the school in miles. Those children whose home address is closest to the school will be those who get priority for places.

Figure 1: Catchment area for admissions to Ellesmere Park High School

Catchment area for admissions to Ellesmere Park High School


a. Children adopted from outside of England

A child is regarded as having been in state care in a place outside of England if they were accommodated by a public authority, a religious organisation or any other provider of care whose sole purpose is to benefit society. Parents/carers of children adopted from outside of England will need to provide a photocopy of the relevant order or proof of the child’s adoption from care direct to the local authority with the application form.

b. Children in need

In Salford, children who would be eligible for this criterion are those who are at level three and have ongoing social worker involvement, and all at level four on the ‘Thresholds of needs and response in Salford’. For children resident in other local authorities, contact will be made with the child’s social worker to confirm that the child’s level of need falls within these boundaries of the Salford thresholds. Salford LA must have confirmation of an applicant’s level of need from an appropriate professional before they will be considered under this criterion.

c. Catchment area

The catchment area runs down the length of Lancaster Road from its junction with the East Lancashire Road, including all properties on the west side of Lancaster road only. It briefly goes along Eccles Old Road before continuing south down Stott Lane, joining Eccles New Road, then heading east to the railway line where it goes south to Manchester Ship Canal. The boundary follows the Ship Canal as far as Barton Aqueduct whereupon it heads north on the aqueduct before heading east at the junction of Brindley Close and Trafford Road. It follows Trafford Road east to the boundary with Lewis Street where it heads north up the length of Lewis Street to Liverpool Road, briefly heading west along Liverpool Road before heading north on Green Lane. The boundary follows Green Lane north as far as the boundary with the M602, travelling west along the M602 to the junction with the M60. It heads north along the M60 turning east to run along the back of the house on Hastings Road and Botany Road before meeting Worsley Road and heading north to run along the back of the house to the north of Cypress Road. Hereupon it meets the Bridgewater Canal, heading south east along the Canal as far as the back of 14 Verdun Road, before heading north east to meet the end of Enfield Road. From here the boundary goes north to Folly Brook and follows Folly Brook around the rear of Salford City College (Eccles Campus) along the rear of Chatsworth and Oakwood Academies to the rear of houses on the north of Winchester Road and Hereford Road as far as where Welwyn Drive meets the rear of Hereford Road. The boundary then heads north east along through the golf course and to the rear of houses on Welwyn Road, heading north through the golf course to meet the East Lancashire road. It then finally heads east along the East Lancashire Road back to the junction with Lancaster Road.

Priority for admission will be given to children living within the defined boundary in figure 1. Where the boundary falls central on a road, only the properties on the side of that road within the boundary will be eligible for consideration under the catchment area criterion.

Where the school becomes oversubscribed within the catchment area criterion, then random allocation will be used to determine which children are to be offered places. This will be supervised by an independent person. Eligible names will be placed in a hat. The required number of names will be drawn from the hat and the available places will be offered to those pupils. This process for random allocation also applies to the waiting list. A fresh round of random allocation will be used each time a child is to be offered a place from the waiting list.

d. Tie-breaker

With the exception of criterion 5 (see note c above), where there are more children in one particular criterion than the number of places available, places will be allocated to the children whose home address is nearest the school. The distance will be measured in a straight line using the LLPG (Land and Property Gazetteer) information to measure the distance between the address point of the child’s home address and the centre of the school in miles. Those children whose home address is closest to the school will be those who get priority for places.

In the event of a tie, where two or more pupils’ home address is the same distance from the preferred school and only one place is available, random allocation will be used. This will be supervised by an independent person. Eligible names will be placed in a hat. One name will be drawn from the hat and the remaining place will be offered to that person. This process for random allocation also applies to the waiting list where two or more pupils are eligible for one vacancy because they live the same distance from the preferred school. A fresh round of random allocation will be used each time a child is to be offered a place from the waiting list.

e. Multiple births

If there is a situation where only one place is available and the next children to be offered are siblings of a multiple birth, all the siblings will be offered places.

f. The child’s home address

The child’s home address is considered to be the child’s parent/carer(s) place of residence, that is to say, where they are normally and regularly living.

If parents are separated and the child spends time at each parents’ address, the address which will be used for admission to schools is the address where the child sleeps the majority of the school nights (Sunday to Thursday) during the week in term time. Where there is dispute or equal nights are slept, the parent will be asked to provide proof of the address registered with the child’s GP.

If a child is resident with friends or relatives for reasons other than guardianship, the friend or relative’s address will not be considered.

We may ask to see two to four forms of evidence of your home address (photocopies are acceptable) showing the address to which payments are made. This may include, for example:

  • proof of where you are registered for council tax
  • your television licence
  • proof of your child tax credits

Any evidence you provide must show that the parent or main carer lives at this address. We may seek evidence by other means if the parent/carer is unable to provide sufficient proof of their residence.

If your address changes temporarily (for example, if you go to live with a relative or there is another reason for temporary vacation of the permanent residence) you cannot use this temporary address for the purpose of your application.

Where a family is returning or moving to the UK from overseas, the local authority will require evidence of where the family will be living. This could be whether parents, for example:

  • own or rent a property in the area to which they intend to return
  • are UK crown servants or are in the UK military and are returning to the area
  • have provided other compelling evidence that they are returning to the area

The local authority may require evidence that a family are returning to the area. Such evidence may include:

  • a mortgage or rental agreement for a property
  • deeds for a property in the area
  • a letter from an employer showing a transfer date to the area registration with a local GP

If a parent is unable to provide evidence of a return to the area, the local authority will use the parents’ place of residence at the time of application (including an address in another country). This may give the child lower priority for admission to most schools.

g. Temporary addresses

The Authority may at its discretion consider as genuine a child’s temporary address where, for example, the child is living with his/her parent/carer(s) in temporary accommodation due, for example, to their parent/carer(s) working commitments, whilst they are seeking a permanent address in the same area.

If the parent/carer(s) main address has changed temporarily, for example where a parent/carer resides with extended family during a period of sickness or takes up temporary accommodation due to building or renovation work, then the parent/carer(s) address remains that at which the parent/carer(s) was resident before the temporary residence began.

h. Change of address

Any permanent change in address must be notified in writing or by email to the Admissions Team as soon as possible. It will not be possible to make any changes to the home address for allocation purposes after 1 February as school offers will be finalised. However, please still inform the admissions team of changes of address after this date so that offer information can be sent to the correct address.

Where a change of address occurs after the closing date and before the 15 January, the local authority will consider a change of preferences to be on-time only where the change of address is over two miles from the previous address (measured from address point to address point in a straight line). Where the change of address is under two miles any changes of preference will be considered as a late application. Any change of preference resulting from a change of address after 15 January will be considered as a late application.

i. False information

If you give any fraudulent or intentionally misleading information to obtain a school place (for example, if you give the incorrect home address), we may withdraw the offer and your child may lose their place. 

If you suspect that someone has given false information to get a school place please contact the admissions team. 

Please note that the school may take strong action and the place offered will be withdrawn, if any fraudulent or misleading information is given, including an address which is not the child’s home address as defined above.

j. Admission of children from overseas

All children of compulsory school age (five to 16 years) in the UK have a right of access to education. However, where a child is in the UK for a short period only, for example less than half a term, it may be reasonable to refuse admission to a school.

Children who hold full British Citizen passports (not British Dependent Territories or British Overseas passports), have a passport endorsed to show a right of abode in the UK normally have unrestricted entry to the UK.

Until 31 December 2020, all European Economic Area (“EEA”) and Swiss national children will have the right, under UK immigration law, to enter the country to access a school. They and their parents will then be eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme and continue to be able to study in schools in England.

An application for a school place will be accepted for such children even though they may not be resident in the UK at the time of application.

From 1 January 2021, freedom of movement with the European Union will end. New immigration routes will be available for applications to work, live and study in the UK.

Parents living outside of the UK are advised to consult the guidance at GOV.UK to ascertain their status and that of their dependents, including children under 18 for whom they wish to apply for a school place.

K. Waiting list policy

Children who are not offered a nursery or reception place for the September intakes at their preferred school will be placed on the school’s waiting list. The waiting list will be maintained only for the statutory period (until 31 December). Should any places become available they will be allocated in accordance with the school’s published admission criteria.

After 31 December, if a parent wishes their child to continue to be considered for a school place, they will need to reapply for a place using the procedure for in-year admissions.

Looked after children, previously looked after children and children who come under the Fair Access Protocol will take precedence over those on the waiting list.

There are no waiting lists for in-year admissions.

l. Right of appeal

If a child is refused a place at a preferred school, they will have the right of appeal for that school. Parents must give their grounds of appeal in writing and will be given at least 20 school days to submit these to the local authority. Further information about appeals can be found on the local authority’s website.

m. Education outside of usual age

Parents may seek a place for their child outside of their normal age group, for example if the child is gifted and talented or has experienced problems such as ill health. For year 6 to year 7 applications where a child is already taught outside of their usual age, parents should contact the admissions team in advance of making an application to discuss the process. For in-year applications, or where the child is already attending the school, parents should contact the Headteacher of the school concerned in the first instance to discuss an application for admission outside of the normal age group.

The request will be considered in conjunction with the school and the parent, and the admission authority for the school will decide on whether the child should be offered delayed admission or not. The decision, and the reasons for it, will be communicated to the parent in writing. Where a child is offered a place at a school but not in the year group preferred there will be no right of appeal.

Back to the list of secondary schools

Rate this page