The Mace was presented to the Borough of Salford by Mr Lees Knowles, MP, on 10 June 1903 to commemorate the Coronation of King Edward VII.
The Mace is composed of silver, hammered, cast and chased in all its different parts and the charges on the four shields are in translucent champleve enamel. The silver is gilt throughout.
The Rose of Lancaster is the principal ornament. The shaft has bees clambering up a spiral arrangement.
Between the letters E VII R (denoting King Edward VII) upon the bowl are charged the Royal Arms, the arms of the Borough of Salford repeated and the arms of the donor.
Around the rim runs the inscription in repousse letters.