Freedom of Information Act

Your right to know

The Freedom of Information Act (FOI) 2000 entitles anybody to ask a public authority in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, including Government departments, for any recorded information that they keep.

This is in addition to individuals' rights of access to information about themselves under the Data Protection Act 1998, and other existing legislation that already secures public access rights to much information held by a local authority.

If you are seeking personal information about yourself, you can find out how to exercise this right by checking our data protection page.

The general right of access under the Freedom of Information Act is subject to some exemptions and the act places a number of obligations on local authorities.

How to make a request for information

How can I find out more?

The Freedom of Information Act is governed by the Information Commissioner’s Office and you can find out more about it on their website: guide to freedom of information.

Complaints procedure for Freedom of Information Act requests (internal review)

Any expression of discontent with a decision made in relation to a request made under the Freedom of Information Act, will be considered as a request for an internal review.

How to complain

Email Information Governance or send a letter to:

Information Governance team
Salford City Council
Salford Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5DA 

You should receive the results of the internal review within 21 working days, or if the investigation is not completed, the likely timescale for its completion.

This process will be independent of any initial decision taken and, where possible, officers involved in the initial decision will not be involved in the review process. They will, however, advise as to why the initial decision was taken. Where a Head of Service has been involved in the initial decision making process he or she may nominate another senior officer of the council to take his or her place.

Applicants who are not happy with the outcome of the internal review may ask the Information Commissioner to review the request and the way the council has dealt with it. The council will provide assistance and information to the Information Commissioner.

Further advice and information, including a full list of exemptions, is available on the Information Commissioner’s Office website.

Rate this page