Register to vote

Please note that not all nationalities are eligible to vote in the UK. If you are a refugee, you are eligible to vote if you are one of the nationalities eligible to vote in the UK.

The deadline to register to vote in the General Election on Thursday 4 July 2024, is Tuesday 18 June 2024.

If you’re not sure if you’re already registered, you can check by calling our contact centre on 0161 793 2500. Please be aware that you need to submit a new application to register to vote each time you move home.

Register to vote online

You will need your national insurance number and date of birth to register.

Find your national insurance number

Where to find your National Insurance number

Your National insurance number will be in the form of two letters, six numbers and one letter (for example, AB123456C).

The following is a list of places where it is most likely to be found: 

For employed people:

  • Pay slips from your employer
  • P60 (end of year statement of pay and tax from your employer)
  • P2 (notice of tax coding from HMRC)
  • P45 (from your employer when you left a job)
  • P11D (from your employer if you get any benefits in kind)
  • P800 (from HMRC if you have over or underpaid tax at the end of the year)
  • Notice to file a tax return (SA316 or tax return (if you are in self-assessment) 

For people over 16 but not yet working:

  • A registration letter from HMRC telling you what your national insurance number is (your parents may have this) 

Self-employed people:

  • Notice to file a tax return (SA316) or tax return
  • Statement of Account 


  • A plastic national insurance number card (these stopped being issued in 2011)

This page was last updated on 28 May 2024

Rate this page