Annual update of the Electoral Register

Every year Salford City Council updates the list of Salford people eligible to vote in local and/or national elections.

This is called the annual household canvass and it’s about to start again. It has to be done by law and will continue, despite COVID-19.

In July you will be sent a canvass form listing all the people in your household who are currently registered to vote. This year, government changes mean you only need to reply if it says so in the letter or you want to change the information you provide or add people’s details.

Please make sure you read your letter carefully to check if you need to respond or not. If you do please do update the information online or return the form to complete the canvass. We must have that information to complete the canvass.

If there are changes you must let us know as soon as possible. People can be fined for not providing the information.

It’s even more important that you reply quickly this year as we normally send out a team of canvassers to speak to households which have not replied. With COVID-19 we want to avoid that as much as possible. 

You can provide the information online or use the telephone or text services instead of posting the paper form to us.

You must have your security codes to hand to use these services.  Your security codes can be found on the letter.

What you need to do

My information has changed

If you need to change information on the household response form please go to the household response website below using your security codes.

Change your information on the household response website

Or by updating the form and posting it back to us. Please note the Civic Centre is not open to the public so forms cannot be handed in there.

If you do not have your form to hand, have lost it or have any further questions please contact us on 0161 793 2500.

My information has not changed

If none of your information has changed then there is no need to do anything.

Registering to vote

We encourage everyone who is not registered to vote to sign up so they can have their say in local and/or national elections.

Adding someone’s name to the household form is just the first stage in them registering to vote.

They must also either register to vote online or complete an Invitation to Register form which we will send them after the canvass if they have not already registered online.

Please use the online registration service if possible as it saves the council money on postage and print. You can also use the online registration service to update your own name, address or other details.

You will need your National Insurance number and date of birth. Your National Insurance number can be found on your National Insurance card or letter or on official paperwork such as payslips or letters about tax or benefits. If you cannot find your National Insurance number, you will need to arrange to have it sent to you by the government.

If you haven't been given a National Insurance number, you will need to provide a reason when applying. We will then contact you to provide further evidence as to your identity.

If you have any queries or need any further information, please call our helpline on 0161 793 2500.

Rate this page