Billing and debt recovery

The financial services billing and debt recovery team is responsible for the billing and recovery of a range of services and goods, including providing a sundry debtors service for Salford Community Leisure Limited and Aspire For Intelligent Care And Support CIC.

All customer details and invoices are created and maintained by the Service Reform financial services billing and debt recovery team which is based at:

Salford Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5AW

All information maintained by the section is governed strictly by the General Data Protection Regulation (2018).

All officers working on the billing and debt recovery team are committed to providing the best possible service to the citizens of Salford and have a continual improvement program to ensure processes are as efficient as possible.

Frequently asked questions

What is a sundry debt?

Sundry debts are miscellaneous invoices issued for a wide variety of council services. Examples of which include:

  • Commercial and ground rents
  • Trade refuse and grounds maintenance service
  • Pest control service
  • Accommodation charges and care for the elderly

In addition to sundry debts for services, miscellaneous invoices are also raised when certain entitlements are overpaid. Examples of these include:

  • Overpayment of salaries
  • Grant awards

Invoices are payable on receipt - details of how to pay are printed on every invoice - see how can I pay for more details.

All city council invoices are subject to recovery action if unpaid. This can be avoided by paying the invoice on time or discussing payment arrangements with a member of staff - see billing and debt recovery payment problems for more details.

If an invoice is deemed to be incorrect the department that issued the invoice should be contacted (contact details are given on every invoice). If you need these details again the city council’s billing and debt recovery team will be able to assist if they are contacted on telephone number 0161 793 2954.

How can I pay?

The city council offer the following methods for you to pay sundry debtor invoices.

The internet - You can pay your account online using our secure payments service in complete confidence by using the invoices option. Our secure payments server is fully encrypted for your protection.

Payment by BACS – The council’s bank account details can be found on the reverse of any invoice which has been issued to you. Please ensure that payments made via this method quote the nine digit invoice number as a reference and any electronic remittance advices are sent to

Post Office - payments may be made by debit card or cash. This service is free. Please present your invoice to the cashier along with your payment - the invoice contains a barcode that is used to record your payment.

Automated payments service - If you have a push button telephone you can use our automated payments service and make your payment by debit or credit card, this facility is available 24 hours a day on 0300 456 0645 (choose option 3 for sundry debtors).

PayPoint - You can make a payment at any PayPoint outlet by presenting your invoice with your cash payment to the retailer.

By post - Salford City Council only currently offer payment by cheque via post. Cheques should be made payable to Salford City Council and sent to:

Salford City Council
Cashiers Office
Salford Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5AW

Please write your name, address and invoice reference number (beginning with prefix '5' on the top of your invoice) on the back of the cheque. If possible, it would also be useful to provide a contact telephone number should there be any reason to contact you regarding the payment. The city council’s policy is not to accept post-dated cheques so please ensure it is dated correctly. Under no circumstances send cash via the post as the city council will not accept liability for lost or stolen monies.

Please note: Should you be paying more than one invoice with a single cheque, please indicate clearly the amounts to be paid against the respective invoice reference numbers.

Billing and debt recovery payment problems

Salford City Council encourages payment in full, but should you be experiencing problems in paying your invoice please tell us immediately in order for us to provide you with assistance and advice on suitable instalment arrangements and other payment options. This may involve the completion of an income and expenditure form, which will be sent once your personal circumstances have been considered.

You can contact the council’s billing and recovery team on 0161 793 2954 or email

For independent advice you can also contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau. Details of your nearest office are available on the Citizens Advice website.

You can also get help and advice by contacting:

  • Your local Citizens Advice Bureau on 0844 826 9695
  • Salford Welfare Rights and Debt Advice Service (SWRDAS) on 0161 727 8235
  • Salford Debtline: Free, independent confidential advice about money problems, telephone 0161 727 8222

Can I pay by instalments?

If you are experiencing genuine hardship and having difficulties paying it might be possible to arrange for payment by instalments. If this is the case you should make contact with the billing and debt recovery team as soon as possible. See billing and debt recovery payment problems for more details.

I have a dispute with the invoice I have received. What should I do?

If you believe you have a valid reason for non-payment, or require further details regarding this invoice, please contact the department that issued the invoice (contact details are given on every invoice). If you need these contact details again the city council’s billing and debt recovery team will be able to assist if they are contacted on telephone number 0161 793 2954 or by email

Why have you sent me a reminder?

If an invoice is not paid upon receipt, or an arrangement has not been followed, recovery letters will be issued. Continued failure to make payment will result in further action against you, including, additional court costs and fees being incurred.

If you have received a reminder but have paid the invoice please email payment details, ie date, amount and method of payment along with the reference you used when making the payment, to

Can I get a copy of the invoice?

Copy invoices can be requested and will be provided within three business days. Please contact the billing and recovery section by emailing Copies can be sent by post or email.

I have overpaid my invoice. How can I get my money back?

If you believe you have overpaid an invoice please contact the billing and debt recovery team on 0161 793 2954 or Please make sure you have full details of payments made as this will need to be checked against our records. Refunds will only be issued in the name of the person stated on the invoice unless we have signed authorisation from them or their legal representative.

Why have I received a credit note?

If an invoice has been issued incorrectly or you have been overcharged, a credit note is issued. If the credit adjustment results in you having overpaid your invoice, a refund will be given for the overpayment.


This page was last updated on 21 June 2022

Rate this page