Sanctions help

Has your Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit been cut because of sanctions?

Did you know that you have the right to appeal?

Nearly half of people who do appeal win and get their money back, check your rights to see if you can too.

Some reasons to challenge a sanction decision

  1. What they told you to do was unreasonable
  2. What they told you to do wouldn't have helped you find a job
  3. The details they provided to you were unclear or inadequate

More information about sanctions and whether they have been applied fairly and legally:

How to appeal a sanction

Step one - mandatory reconsideration

Contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) within one month of the decision to say why you disagree. Keep a copy. You can phone and request a written statement of reasons first.

Step two - appeal

If you still disagree with the DWP, send the Tribunal Service a copy of your mandatory reconsideration notice with your appeal using form SSCS1. You have one month.

Find out more about how to appeal.

How to survive

Keep signing on and job searching to prevent further benefit sanctions.

Ask the job centre for a hardship payment claim form if you cannot afford the basics. You can 60% of your benefit. You may have to wait two weeks. If you count as vulnerable, for example, you are pregnant, have children or a long term illness or disability and are suffering hardship then you can get a payment straight away.

Prevent your housing benefit being stopped by informing them of your change of income.

Contact the Salford Discretionary Support Scheme if you need emergency help with food, gas or electricity.

Who to contact for free advice and representation

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

Rate this page