Make a benefits claim

On a daily basis from 5.15am to 6.30am and from 7pm to 8pm, the online claim facility will be unavailable due to system maintenance.

If you are not in receipt of housing benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction and want to make a claim, the quickest way to do this is by completing our online claim form (below).

If you have made a claim for Universal Credit and pay rent, your housing costs will be included in your Universal Credit payments, unless you live in supported accommodation. Please note if you have claimed Universal Credit you need to make a separate claim for Council Tax Reduction which you can do online.

Information required to make a claim

You will need the following information to hand:

  • National Insurance number for you and your partner
  • Your rent details including amount of rent, your landlord and any charges included in your rent, eg water or electricity. This information should be on your tenancy agreement
  • Your household income including benefits, tax credits, savings, investments and expenses, eg childcare costs, private pension contributions
  • The full names and date of birth for all household members
  • You will need to know your annual council tax liability if you are also claiming for Council Tax Reduction online

Further information about what is required to support your claim.

To make an online claim

Once you start you will be guided through a series of questions. You can save your claim and continue with it within 14 days if you are unable to complete  it in one go.

You will be given a unique reference number (Benefit Tracking reference) and asked a number of security questions which you must remember. You will not be able to access your claim if you do not have your unique reference number. If you forget or lose them you can request a new one if you provide an email address when completing your claim form. If you do not provide an email address and lose your unique reference number you will have to start again.

At the end of the form you will have a list of supporting evidence that you need to provide based on the information supplied.

Supporting evidence 

You can upload any supporting evidence when completing the online form. By providing evidence such as payslips, self employed accounts, proof of rent, proof of identity etc your form may be dealt with quicker and we may not have to request this at a later date which could delay your claim being processed.  

Documents can be uploaded whenever you see the hyperlink ‘Upload evidence’. Please do not use ‘password protection’ on any uploaded documents, as we will not be able to open them.

File types that can be uploaded are:

  • GIF
  • JPG
  • PDF
  • PNG
  • TIFF

Make your claim online

To make a claim by phone

You cannot make a claim by phone if either one or both of the following apply:

  • You or your partner have come to live in the country in the last five years?
  • You are under 60 years of age and have capital over £16,000?*

* Savings, investments and other assets (of claimant and partner), you cannot qualify for any housing benefit or council tax reduction if you and any partner have £16,000 or more in savings and investments. The home you live in and personal possessions do not count.

If you have answered yes to any of the questions above, phone us on 0161 793 2500 to request a claim form.

If you have answered no to the questions above, you may be able to complete your application over the phone but to do this we will need some information from you. If you can complete our online telephone claim request form as this will assist us to gather information or phone us on 0161 793 2500 to make an appointment. Please have all your information ready (listed above) before contacting us to make your telephone claim. 

Request a home visit

We can visit you at home to help you with your claim, but only if you can't do it online, by phone or by visiting one of our Gateway Centres (if you're unable to leave your home). Request a home visit using our benefits enquiry form.

Benefits enquiry form

Check your account online

Once you have made your claim, you can check information about your housing benefit and Council Tax Reduction claim, including entitlement details and housing benefit payments online though your Salford customer account.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

This page was last updated on 24 March 2017