How to appeal against your council tax

You can appeal against your liability for council tax if you feel that:

  • your home shouldn’t be charged council tax
  • the bills are being sent to the wrong person in your home
  • the amount being charged is wrong

You can’t appeal just because you think your council tax bill is too expensive.

How to appeal your bill

Your appeal must be made in writing to Corporate Business, Civic Centre, Chorley Road, Swinton M27 5AW.

Do you think your home is in the wrong band?

The council doesn’t decide what council tax band your home is in. That’s done by the Valuation Office Agency. If you’d like to appeal your band, please contact them. Find out more on the appeals process.

You should continue to pay your existing council tax while you appeal.

This page was last updated on 24 February 2016

Rate this page