Disability reduction

If you are disabled, or have a disabled person living in your home, we may be able to reduce your council tax bill.

To get the reduction, you’ll need to show that you’ve either:

  • an extra bathroom or kitchen that the disabled person needs or
  • enough space for using a wheelchair indoors or
  • a room other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet which is used by the disabled person, and is essential or of major importance to their welfare

The property must be the main home of at least one disabled person (either a child or adult).

To qualify for a reduction, the extra room doesn't have to be specially built. However, the room must be mainly used by the disabled person.

We may arrange for an inspector to visit you to confirm what you tell us.

Apply for a disability reduction

A disabled reduction is calculated in the form of a band reduction i.e. a Band D property will be charged at a Band C rate for the period that the reduction is applicable. If a property is currently a Band A then the bill is lowered by one-ninth of a Band D charge.

This reduction will last until the disabled person is no longer living at the address or the adaptations/facilities are removed.

The reduction does not stop you from receiving any other discount or benefit.


This page was last updated on 10 September 2018

Rate this page