Helping Hands, Handyperson Service

Need work doing around the house?

If so, you need Salford City Council's handypersons scheme, run by Helping Hands minor repairs service.

You may be eligible for a free property maintenance check, home repairs or work done at a discounted rate.

Helping Hands is a well established, not for profit community business, working for the benefit of Salford people. They do all sorts of work including:

  • Security such as installing and fixing anti-climbing strips, locks and carbon monoxide smoke alarms
  • External maintenance such as clearing gutters and fixing external doors 
  • Internal maintenance such as fitting curtain rails and hanging curtains, changing light bulbs and fixing taps
  • Fall preventions such as grab rails, stair rails and newell rails
  • Outdoor help such as extra steps, flagging and pointing

They could even build your flat-pack furniture!

Some types of work are provided free to those who need it most including customers who:

  • Are over 65 and on a low income
  • Have a physical or sensory disability
  • Are a family on a low income, with a child under five

There is also a discounted rate for qualifying customers and competitive rates in all other circumstances. All charges are clearly explained before any work is carried out.

The service is reliable and trustworthy - the handypersons are fully trained and checked by the Criminal Records Bureau. All staff carry ID cards, visits are by appointment and vehicles carry the Helping Hands logo, so you can be sure the handyperson is part of their team.

If the area of work involves safety or security, Helping Hands aims to visit your home within one working day of you contacting us. For all other areas of work, they aim to visit you within three working days.

Helping Hands will bring any tools needed and if you qualify for free work, they will provide all the materials free of charge.

If we cannot help you we will try to put you in touch with someone who can, for example if it is a larger job then you could try the Salford Home Improvement Agency or for information on disabled adaptations please contact Community Occupational Therapy Service. If you are over 50 and/or vulnerable and thinking of moving home, then contact the SHOP service for information and advice regarding your housing options.

Find out by contacting Helping Hands Salford.

This page was last updated on 28 July 2021

Rate this page