Salford's Handyperson Service

This service is not currently available – please contact

Need work doing around the house?

If so, you need Salford City Council's handypersons scheme, delivering minor home repairs through our delivery partner.

You may be eligible for a free property maintenance check, and minor home repairs.

The Handyperson service works for the benefit of Salford people. They do all sorts of work including:

  • Security such as installing and fixing locks and fixing external doors 
  • Health and Safety such as carbon monoxide and smoke alarms
  • External maintenance such as clearing gutters and trip hazards
  • Internal maintenance such as plumbing, joinery, gas and  electric
  • Fall preventions such as grab rails, stair rails and newell rails

How much does it cost?

Repairs are provided free to those who need it most, eligible customers who are:

  • Are aged over 65 and in receipt of a means tested benefit
  • Are suffering an illness or disability and in receipt of a means tested benefit
  • Low-income families with a child under 5 years of age and in receipt of a means tested benefit
  • Clients identified as being at risk of crime

There is also a discounted rate for customers who do not qualify for free work, with competitive rates in all circumstances. All charges are clearly explained before any work is carried out.

About the handypersons

The service is reliable and trustworthy - the handypersons are fully trained and checked by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). All staff carry ID cards, visits are by appointment, so you can be sure the handyperson is part of their team.

If the area of work involves safety or security, the Handyperson Service aims to visit your home within one working day of you contacting us. For all other areas of work, they aim to visit you within three working days.

The Handyperson Service will bring any tools needed and if you qualify for free work, they will provide all the materials free of charge.

If we cannot help you we will try to put you in touch with someone who can, for example if it is a larger job then you could try the Salford Home Improvement Assistance or for information on disabled adaptations please contact Community Occupational Therapy Service. If you are over 50 and/or vulnerable and thinking of moving home, then contact the SHOP service for information and advice regarding your housing options.

Find out more

Find out by contacting

This page was last updated on 26 March 2024

Rate this page