Immigration: property inspection and accommodation certificates

What is an Accommodation Inspection?

When you make an application to UK Visas and Immigration for entry clearance into the United Kingdom, you may need to provide a report on the suitability of the proposed accommodation.
The certificate, if granted, shows that the property is considered to provide a safe and healthy environment for the occupants and that the property satisfies the overcrowding standards in the Housing Acts 1985 and 2004.

The property inspection will determine whether there are any hazards that may affect the health and safety of the occupants. It will also assess whether the property would become overcrowded if any more people were to move in. Should a property be found to be in a poor state of repair this will be reported to the property owner.

If the property meets the required standards, then we will issue a confirmation letter to you which can be submitted in support of your application for entry clearance to UK Visas and Immigration.

The sponsor will need to make the application.

There is fee of £175.40 for the Accommodation Certificate and Property Inspection.

At the Accommodation Inspection

When carrying out a property inspection the officer will measure each room. The room sizes will be used to calculate the maximum number of people able to live in the property ensuring the property is not overcrowded. A property is considered to be overcrowded if it fails to meet the overcrowding standards in the Housing Acts 1985 and 2004.

The officer will also ensure the following matters will be assessed:

  • the property is safe, in a good state of repair and doesn't pose a health and safety risk
  • the property has adequate kitchen and bathroom facilities (shared facilities with another family is not acceptable)
  • the property is owned or occupied exclusively by the sponsor/sponsor's family (the property is not suitable, if it is shared with members of another family)
  • the property if rented has a copy of a current gas safety certificate and electrical installation condition report.

If the property would become overcrowded as a result of someone moving in, then you may have to find alternative accommodation for the people being sponsored.

How to apply

To apply for an Accommodation Inspection you will need the following information:

  • applicant details (sponsor) including contact details
  • details of the person(s) entering the UK including their name, age, and relationship to the sponsor
  • the property they intend to live in, including full address
  • the person(s) currently residing in the property
  • the property type and number of rooms
  • a credit or debit card to make payment online or over the phone of £175.40

If the property is rented you will need to provide:

  • details of the landlord and written consent to allow a change in occupation
  • a copy of the current gas safety certificate (your landlord should provide a copy to you)
  • a copy of the current electrical installation condition report (your landlord should provide copies to you)

Failure to supply the documents will result in an Accommodation Certificate not being issued and refunds cannot be provided.

Apply for an accommodation inspection certificate

What happens once you have submitted an application?

Once we have received the application, we will contact you to arrange a date and time for the inspection. The inspection will be completed within ten working days of receipt of an application. We request that you allow an hour for the inspection to be completed.

Following the inspection, a confirmation letter and Accommodation Inspection Certificate will be sent to the sponsor within five working days which will state:

  • the name(s) and date of birth of the person(s) seeking entry to the UK
  • the address of the property inspected
  • the owner, current occupants and proposed occupants
  • how the property is occupied, and by who
  • whether the property would be statutorily overcrowded by the addition of the person seeking entry to the UK
  • the name of the officer to contact for further information

Once an officer has carried out a property inspection, the fee cannot be refunded.

Certificates are valid for six months.

Rate this page