Apply for a Temporary Exemption Notice

You will need a Temporary Exemption Notice (TEN) if you are taking steps to secure that the house you rent out is no longer required to be licensed, for example, your tenant is leaving and you intend to live in the property yourself. (Section 86 of The Housing Act 2004).


A TEN only applies to one house.

Number of notices you can apply for

You can only apply for a maximum of two notices per property. Only in exceptional circumstances will the second TEN be granted.

Each notice lasts for a period of three months, and the second notice must commence from the end of the first notice.

How to apply

  • Complete the online form below.
  • There is no cost for a TEN.
  • The TEN will commence on the date it is granted.
  • See the guidance notes for more information.

Apply for a Temporary Exemption Notice

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

Rate this page