Street traders

What is street trading?

Salford City Council operates a street trading consent scheme under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, for all street trading activities such as hot food vehicles, ice cream vans and flower stalls.

The consent scheme was revised in July 2018 and the revised policy outlines the details of the scheme and contains information that will be useful to you if you are considering becoming a street trader or organising an event in Salford. Please read the street trading policy, available to download below, before applying.

Street trading without a valid consent anywhere in the city renders the trader liable to prosecution.

How do I apply and what documents do I need?

Applications submitted for street trading are required to provide the following documentation otherwise the application will be refused.

  1. Payment of the full fee for the periods of trading applied for.
  2. Current Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check for the applicant. This takes up to 14 days to obtain and can be done online on the GOV.UK website. Once you have received the certificate you need to post this to us or arrange an appointment to bring it in person.
  3. Where the proposed street trading activity is from a fixed position, a copy of a map of at least 1:1250 scale. The map should clearly identify the proposed site position by marking the site boundary with a red line.
  4. Three coloured photographs of the vehicle, stall, barrow, cart etc. that will be used for the street trading activity (at least one to include the vehicle registration, if applicable).
  5. A copy of a current certificate of insurance that covers the street trading activity for third party and public liability risks.
  6. Where appropriate, a current gas safety certificate (if you have cooking appliances powered by gas) and/or electrical installation condition report (if you have electrical appliances).
  7. For applications trading directly from vehicles, the vehicle must have a valid MOT and a copy of the vehicle log book (V5C) for the vehicle must be provided.
  8. For food businesses registered outside of Salford a copy of the last food hygiene inspection report and confirmation of the hygiene rating issued.
  9. Digital photograph of the applicant. A digital photo taken using a smartphone is fully acceptable.

For street traders intending to trade on private land you must also submit the following with your application:

  1. Written permission from the landowner that you have been given consent to trade on their land
  2. Proof that planning permission has been obtained to trade on that land

How much does it cost?

The current fee to trade is £800 per annum for a new trader and £700 for an existing Salford street trader (for example 1 April to 31 March). Although traders at organised events can apply for a short term consent, these are priced on a pro rata basis from £60 for one to two days.

What happens if I submit an incomplete application?

Please note an application for a street trading consent or an application to renew a street trading consent will only be given if all requested documentation are provided within the timescales required. From 1 August 2019, if the required documentation is not provided on time then the applications will be refused, a refund minus an admin fee of £120 will be issued. If the trader still requires a consent for street trading they will have to submit a new application and pay the appropriate fee. In the meantime they are not permitted to trade if they have not been issued with a consent or if their existing one has expired. Trading can only begin when the trader receives written confirmation that they can start trading and that consent has been issued. Formal action will be taken against those who continue to trade without a valid consent. 

For new applications all requested documentation must be provided within 14 days from the date of your first inspection or within 28 days of your application where no inspection is required. Applications to renew your street trading consent must be done at least 14 days before the existing consent expires. All requested documents must also be provided at least 14 days before the existing consent expires.

Do I need a food hygiene and health and safety inspection?

Before a consent to trade in the city of Salford will be issued, every person operating a mobile food vehicle or stall will be required to present their vehicle for a food hygiene and health and safety inspection or provide details from a recent inspection by another local authority. Get more information on food hygiene advice.

What if I'm considering a regular site?

It is advisable when considering a regular site for your mobile that you liaise with the council to ensure you will not be contravening highway legislation, and not trading on a main arterial route or prohibited street.

As part of an initial application, we may consult with a number of interested parties including highways, police, local traders and councillors. 

If you wish to make a new application for a street trading consent use the online form below.

Apply for a new street trading consent

If you wish to renew your street trading consent please use the online form below. 

Renew your street trading consent

If you wish to apply for street trading at a temporary event please use the downloadable document at the bottom of the page.

For further advice, please contact

The Ice Cream Alliance also provide some additional guidance on the safe handling and service of ice cream.

If you are a peddler, this does not require a street trading consent. Get more advice on peddling.

This page was last updated on 12 May 2022

Rate this page