Coronation of King Charles III celebrations - Thursday 4 to Monday 8 May 2023

Celebrate the coronation of King Charles III banner

Get involved with the celebrations for the Coronation of His Majesty The King which will take place on Saturday 6 May 2023 at Westminster Abbey, London and will see His Majesty King Charles III crowned alongside The Queen Consort.

An additional bank holiday has been granted to mark the Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III. The bank holiday will fall on Monday 8 May 2023, following the Coronation on Saturday 6 May, providing everyone throughout the United Kingdom with a chance to come together to celebrate the Coronation of the new Monarch.

How you can get involved with the Coronation celebrations

Different types of outdoor events you can organise with your families, communities, neighbours and friends might include:

On your street

  • a street party with your neighbours
  • a street meet

In your local park or open space

  • a community picnic or lunch
  • a sports or family games event
  • a community festival
  • a live music concert
  • event with funfair rides
  • a community walk

What support or funding is available from the council?

The King Charles III Coronation Grant

If you are looking to get involved in celebrating the Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III by holding an outdoor event in Salford, all the details you’ll need including how to apply for a King Charles III Coronation Grant and information on what support is available to organisations planning commemorative outdoor events and activities are listed below.

How to apply for funding for your celebration from Salford City Council


Salford based groups and organisations with approval for an outdoor event in open spaces or local parks can apply for a King Charles III Coronation Grant for events taking place between Thursday 4 to Monday 8 May 2023 in Salford.

Funding applications for the King Charles III Coronation Grant

There are two categories:

  1. grants under £500 aimed at non constituted groups, where the event is free and open to local residents, groups and members celebrating the Coronation.
  2. grants over £500 aimed at constituted groups, where the event is free and open to the wider community celebrating the Coronation.

You can apply to fund items such as:

  • publicity costs
  • cost for purchasing Road Closure signage
  • PA system hire
  • insurance cover
  • marshalling and First Aiders
  • entertainment
  • event infrastructure (barriers and toilets)

Food and drink cannot be funded via this grant.

The closing date for grant applications is Friday 31 March 2023.

Complete the King Charles III Coronation Grant application form

National Lottery Funding

Funding is available of up to £10,000 for events and activities through the National Lottery Awards for All programme. Find out how you can apply on the National Lottery community fund website. Please note that National Lottery Funding applications can take up to 12 weeks to be processed.

How to apply for an outdoor event in a Salford park or green space

To hold an event in a Salford public park, green space or open space you must submit an application form. Learn more about submitting an event application.

Please note that the deadline for event applications for the Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III is Friday 31 March 2023.

If you organise an event in a park or green space, you will need to get public liability insurance for your event.

Street parties

What is a street party?

Street parties are enjoyable, free, community events which allow for neighbours to unite and celebrate a national or regional occasion.

The activities should be suitable for families.

Street parties are held in residential streets and are considered to be open solely to residents, their family and friends.

Street parties are self-organised by residents or a chosen 'neighbourhood committee' or community group.

They need to have an agreed start and reasonable finish time agreed by the residents.

How to apply to close a road for a street party

You will need to apply to Salford City Council for permission to close a road for a street party.

You can apply for a temporary road closure on Salford City Council’s webpage.

The fees for road closures between Thursday 4 to Monday 8 May 2023 are waivered (please note, you need to add ‘KINGCHARLES’ as the purchase order requirement of the road closure form).

The closing date for street party road closure applications is Friday 31 March 2023.

You will need to purchase, hire or borrow Road Closed signage. Funding is available towards purchase or hire of these signs.

Salford City Council has removed the requirement to have public liability insurance for a street party on this occasion. However, if you include bouncy castles, BBQ’s or other activities, you may wish to consider getting public liability for your event.

A list of companies who can advise you on public liability appear below.

Get more information on holding a Salford street party.

Street Meet

What is a street meet?

A Street Meet is a street party without closing your road, for example a gathering in your front garden or on your driveways.

You do not need permission for Salford City Council for a Street Meet.

BBC TV Licence dispensation for viewing live events as part of King Charles III Coronation

The BBC is offering local communities a one-off TV Licence dispensation covering Saturday 6 and Sunday 7 May to enable them to enjoy the Coronation on Saturday 6 May and the Coronation Concert on Sunday 7 May. Both events will be broadcast live on the BBC.

The dispensation will allow those arranging community events in venues and outside spaces to screen the live programmes throughout the weekend without needing to purchase a licence. 

Example community venues include churches, town halls, community centres, libraries and streets across Britain as well as commercial premises acting as community venues such as concert halls, performing arts venues, cinemas and shops. It also applies to any outdoor venues which have the facilities to screen. To find out more visit the TV Licensing website.

Licensable activity

Certain activities require a license. The sale of alcohol, the provision of hot food and drink between 11pm to 5am, or the provision of regulated entertainment (for example, the performance of live or the playing of recorded music, a film, play or dance) to the public, may be licensable activity and may require a temporary event notice. Get more information on applying for a temporary event notice. Applications should be submitted in good time, with a minimum of ten working days before the event (excluding the day that the application is made and the first day of the event).

Get involved with national events to celebrate the Coronation

The Coronation Big Lunch

The Coronation Big Lunch, on Sunday 7 May, will encourage communities to come together, celebrate their connections and get to know each other better. It will bring the Coronation festivities into the heart of every community. More detail on getting involved is available on the Coronation Big Lunch website.

The Big Help Out

The Big Help Out, on Monday 8 May, will provide an opportunity to reflect on the legacy of His Majesty’s service and showcase the impact of volunteering within communities. Whether it’s helping a local group or joining some of the UK’s best-known national charities, people across the UK will be able to get involved, find out more on The Big Help Out website.

Medical provision at events

Please see the PDF document below prepared by the North West Ambulance Service which includes guidance for event organisers to assist them in the provision of adequate medical cover for events.

Balloons and Sky Lanterns

Balloons and sky lanterns releases are an impressive sight, although it's sometimes easy to forget the dangers this can have for wildlife and the environment. Once released these quickly become litter. Although biodegradable options are available, such as bamboo framed sky lanterns, these still take months or even years to break down.

Salford City Council will not give permission for balloon and sky lantern releases as part of any event application. 

Bonfire and Firework safety

Get guidance on bonfire and firework safety.

Please remember, it is an offence to let fireworks off between 11pm to 7am except on Bonfire Night 12am, Diwali, New Year's Eve, and Chinese New Year, 1am.

Getting public liability insurance for your event

Here is a selection of companies commonly used by community groups in Salford for their event insurance cover.

Please contact them to discuss the type of event you are hosting, where you are hosting it, and what type of cover is most appropriate for the activities you are planning.

For more information on holding a street party in Salford visit the Salford street party webpage.

For general enquiries on outdoor events and celebrations please email

This page was last updated on 20 March 2023

Rate this page