Essential advice on organising an event

Important information: please follow the below advice when orgainising an event.

Do I need a licence to trade in Salford?


Do I have to be registered with Salford to trade in Salford?

No. However if you are a business who will be selling food or drink then you MUST be registered with the local authority where your business is usually located or in the case of a mobile business the location where your mobile, trailer unit etc is usually stored overnight. Businesses selling food and or drink must also have received a food hygiene inspection rating of 3 or above before they will be given a licence for trading at an event in Salford.

I’m a community group who want to serve tea, and cakes at an event or on the green do I need a street trading licence?

All businesses selling food and or drink who wish to trade at an event must be a registered business that has received a food hygiene rating of 3 and above. This includes any charitable organisations, community groups etc.

What food hygiene rating do I need to achieve to be allowed to operate at an event?

You must have achieved a food hygiene rating of 3 or above.

I have santiser to clean my hands is this okay instead of running water? Or what provision do I need to clean my hands, wash utensils and pots at an event?

We do not accept use of hand sanitisers as an alternative to hand washing. Hand sanitisers should be used in addition to hand washing and not as a replacement. All businesses that sell food and or drink must have suitable hand wash facilities which must include a wash hand basin that provides running hot and cold water. We do not accept Burco boilers as a suitable hot water provision for hand washing due to scalding risks. We will accept portable wash hand basin units with pre-mixed hot and cold water but they must operate in a manner where both hands can be washed at the same time under the taps and does not require one hand on a pump to operate it.

What is a TEN?

A TEN is a temporary event notice. You will need a temporary event notice (TEN) if you want to carry out a ‘licensable activity’ on an unlicensed premises.

Or if you are carrying out a ‘licensable activity’ longer than allowed on your premises licence.

Licensable activity includes:

  • Selling alcohol
  • Serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • Providing entertainment, such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events
  • Serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

Further details on applying for a TEN

What is a street trading licence?

A street trading licence is required for businesses that are not within a fixed building or premises such as mobiles, trailers and other moveable establishments where general members of the public can turn up and purchase items from you. This includes temporary street trading at an event unless the traders are inside a secured site and a ticket is required to enter that site. If the public can purchase directly from the traders without requiring a ticket for the site then a street trading licence will be required.

Further details on street trading

What is the difference between a TEN and a street trading licence?

A TEN is a temporary event notice for an event to carry out a ‘licensable activity’ on an unlicensed premises and an event may include street traders selling food, drink or merchandise or may not have any street traders at the event. If the event organiser wishes to have street traders at an event they also have to apply for temporary street trading licence for any traders that are not already licenced by Salford or the street traders can apply separately for a temporary street trading licence if the event organiser is not applying on their behalf.

How do I apply for them?

You can apply for a TEN and you can apply for a temporary street trading licence.

What is the cost of a street trading licence?

The cost a temporary street trading licence is calculated by the number of traders multiplied by the number of trading days.

  • 1 to 2 traders is £60
  • 3 to 7 traders is £100
  • 8 to 31 traders is £160

For example one trader trading for 2 days is 1x2 which equals to 2 so they fall in the 1-2, £60 category. Three traders trading for 5 days is 3x5 which equals to 15 so they fall in the 8-31, £160 category.

So based on these calculations you can check which price band you fall in. If you are a registered street trader selling food or drink and you are still awaiting your inspection you will not be given a licence. If you are registered by another authority but want Salford to undertake the food hygiene inspection then the above fees double in cost. For further details see our street trading policy.

What is the cost of a TEN?

The cost of a TEN is £21

I’m the organiser of an event can I submit an application for a number of food traders?

Yes. You will need to send us details separately before the event of all the traders that will be at your event once you have confirmed these including if they sell food and or drink, which authority they are registered with, their food hygiene rating and what type of hand wash facilities they have.

How do I submit this application and what is the cost?

Apply for a temporary street trading event on our street trading page.

You will need to complete and send the form to us at least 14 days before the event.

Why do I need public liability for events?

Public Liability Insurance is not a requirement under health and safety legislation and, in any case this provides cover for third parties not the insured person. Therefore, if someone is injured or their property is damaged and you are found legally liable for that, it’s public liability that provides the cover your business would require to resolve a claim.

Why do I need a risk assessment?

The law states that a risk assessment must be 'suitable and sufficient', ie it should show that:

  • a proper check was made
  • you asked who might be affected
  • you dealt with all the obvious significant risks, taking into account the number of people who could be involved
  • the precautions are reasonable, and the remaining risk is low
  • you involved your workers or their representatives in the process

The level of detail in a risk assessment should be proportionate to the risk and appropriate to the nature of the work. Insignificant risks can usually be ignored, as can risks arising from routine activities associated with life in general, unless the work activity compounds or significantly alters those risks.

Your risk assessment should only include what you could reasonably be expected to know - you are not expected to anticipate unforeseeable risks.

If you employ more than five people, your risk assessment must be written down. If you have fewer than five employees, you still have to undertake a risk assessment, but you don't have to write anything down, but it might help if you do.

Your risk assessment must:

  • identify what could cause injury or illness in your business (hazards)
  • decide how likely it is that someone could be harmed and how seriously (the risk)
  • take action to eliminate the hazard, or if this isn't possible, control the risk

Why do I need a risk assessment for an event?

As an event organiser, you must as far as reasonably practicable, ensure the safety of visiting crowds. The venue should also by safe and without risk to the health of those working there.

The event organiser should ensure the event venue / site is designed so that it is safe for people working there and so that the audience can enjoy the entertainment safely.

What about a Coronavirus risk assessment?

Your risk assessment should include taking reasonable steps to protect your workers and others from coronavirus. This is called a COVID-19 risk assessment and it'll help you manage risk and protect people, for example:

  • putting in place social distancing measures
  • staggering shifts
  • providing additional handwashing facilities
  • enhanced cleaning
  • displaying signage

Do I need to have insurance to cover me if the event is cancelled?

As the business operator you must have all the correct insurance in place, you should discuss with your insurance provider the need for cancellation cover on your insurance should an event be cancelled, and whether communicable (or ‘notifiable’) disease cover is included as part of your insurance.

Rate this page