Free bus pass

If your child attends a special school and has a statement of special educational need, he/she is entitled to a free bus pass from Transport for Greater Manchester (TFGM).

Students of any age permanently resident in Greater Manchester, with one of the following disabilities, may be also entitled to a TFGM free travel pass:

  • registered blind with the local authority
  • profoundly deaf and without speech that cannot be readily understood by an untrained hearing person
  • without natural speech and unable to communicate orally
  • without the use of both arms
  • with learning difficulties
  • have been, or would be refused a driving licence on the grounds that they have a severe and enduring mental health problem

The free travel pass provides free travel on buses, trains and Metrolink for all journeys that begin and end in Greater Manchester.

When travelling by bus between Greater Manchester and selected towns in Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire, Merseyside, Warrington borough, Blackburn with Darwen borough or West Yorkshire students can travel at approximately half the full fare for the portion of the journey outside Greater Manchester. Registered blind pass holders can also travel free when making bus journeys entirely within West Yorkshire.

How to apply for a free travel pass

If you or your child meet the eligibility criteria you should visit the TFGM website or call 0161 244 1050.

It is not currently possible to apply for a pass online, if you require an application form, please contact TFGM on 0161 244 1050.

Bus passes for adults

Details of concessionary bus passes for people aged over 60 years old and some disabled people

Help and support for students

Rate this page