Property searches

This page gives you information about the local land charges service we provide.

What a local authority search is

When buying a property or a piece of land, your solicitor will submit a local land charges search which will show whether there are any legal restrictions affecting the property/land.

Salford City Council's land charges team investigates what restrictions there are and will bring all the information together in the form of a local authority search. This information is collected from various departments throughout the council including building control, environmental health, highways and planning.

Types of searches

There are three types of searches:

1. Form LLC1

This consists of a search of the land charges register. This search reveals if there are any outstanding charges such as financial ones where money is owed to the council when work has been carried out on the property/land, for example removal of rubbish, making a dangerous building safe. Other charges include tree preservation orders, conservation areas, listed buildings, road agreements, conditional planning applications, enforcement notices.

2. Form Con29

This search is a questionnaire and the information needed to answer this form comes from various departments in the council. This form contains part one standard questions which reveals if there are any road proposals/schemes, compulsory purchase orders, proposed enforcement actions, statutory notices, building regulations, planning applications.

This form also contains part two optional enquiries that are answered when indicated. These questions cover public paths, noise abatement orders, pollution notices.

3. Personal search

Any person may carry out a search of the local land charges register free of charge. You must email your request to, you will receive a response within two weeks.

Search fees

From 31 March 2017, Con29 and Con29O searches received on or after this date must include VAT following HMRCs decision. A VAT receipt will be supplied with the completed search.

Type of search Net amount VAT Amount
Form LLC1 £15 No VAT payable £15
LLC1 additional parcel £1 No VAT payable £1
Form Con29 £120


Con29 additional parcel £16 £3.20 £19.20
Con290 part two optional enquiries £10 per question £2 per question £12 per question
Additional enquiries (own questions) £12.50 per question £2.50 per question £15 per question

Payments for searches can be made by cheque, payable to Salford City Council or by debit or credit card.

If you wish to pay by card, please telephone the land charges team on 0161 793 3124.

Processing of searches

We have a fully computerised local land charges system and can deal efficiently with both postal and electronic searches, submitted by the National Land Information Service (NLIS).

Search replies can be returned by:

  • email
  • post
  • electronically via NLIS



Technical Services
Salford Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5AS

Telephone: 0161 779 6195

Highway Information Service
Technical Services
Chorley Road
M27 5AS

Telephone: 0161 779 6100

Building Control

Technical Services
Salford Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5AS

Telephone 0161 779 6175

Noise and contaminated land

Environmental Protection
Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 2AD

Telephone: 0161 925 1097

Local searches

Land Charges
Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5DA

Telephone: 0161 793 3124

Drainage and water searches

United Utilities
Property Search
Ground Floor, Grasmere House
Lingley Green Avenue
Great Sankey

DX 715568, Wigan 7
Website: Drainage and water search

Mining searches

The Coal Authority
200 Lichfield Lane
NG18 4RG

DX 716176, Mansfield 5
Telephone: 0845 762 6848

Downloadable documents

If you are unable to view documents of these types, our downloads page provides links to viewing software.

Who to contact

Land Charges
Civic Centre
Chorley Road
M27 5DA
Map to this location
0161 793 3124

This page was last updated on 16 May 2022

Rate this page