Request a council tax refund

You can request a refund if your council tax account is in credit. This could happen if you have:

  • overpaid
  • moved out of Salford
  • been awarded a discount or exemption
  • been awarded council tax reduction (formerly council tax benefit)
  • had the band of your property reduced

Refunds are usually paid by cheque to the person who is named on the council tax bill. If you pay by Direct Debit we will refund your bank account directly.

We will only refund you if you do not owe any further amounts of council tax to us. If we cannot issue you with a refund, we will contact you to confirm this.

Please note that we can only issue refunds to one person named on the council tax bill. We cannot make refunds to more than one person.

Therefore, if the account in credit has more than one liable party, written confirmation from all parties that the refund can be made to you, must be uploaded at the end of the form below.

Request a council tax refund

Rate this page